We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

Dubai
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

Hi there,

We are booking a package trip to Sri Lanka.

We live in Dubai.

I am Canadian and my partner is from South Africa.

We only hold a Dubai, UAE visa credit card - not a credit card from North America.

I need to find a company that will sell me trip cancellation insurance - to cancel for ANY reason

I have googled endlessly and have found companies that offer this, but only to residents of the USA or Canada.

Any and all assistance would be so greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

D.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

You're not going to find insurance that allows you to cancel 'for any reason'. All policies will have a list of perils that will trigger the coverage.

What exactly are you looking for in terms of coverage? Give some examples of why you might need to cancel.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

I'd be surprised if you can find travel insurance that applies just because you've changed your mind...

Dubai
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

A family member has been suffering with cancer... and I want to be sure that I can cancel my trip in case I need to fly home to Canada.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,558 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

First, sympathy for your difficult situation.

However, when I bought my annual travel insurance policy just a couple of months ago, I was asked if any close famiy member had been diagnosed with cancer or other serious illness. If the answer had been yes, then I suspect that the insurance would probably have cost almost as much as the cost of the cancellation. If you don't disclose your relative's medical condition, it would invalidate the policy and you would be worse off than if you had no insurance.

Look at it from the insurere's point of view. Insurance is gambling and an insurer would need to know a lot more about your relative's condition before they could calculate the odds.

It might be less expensive for you to pay a bit more for refundable airline tickets and hotels reservations that could be cancelled.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

Leagle is correct (and I endorse his message of sympathy). However, the cancer will be classified as a 'pre-existing illness' and will be excluded under the terms of the policy. From the insurance companies' perspective insurance is only against unforeseen circumstances which, unfortunately, precludes a known serious medical condition in either the traveller or a close relative.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

I can only post what I've found for a US Citizen. It is possible for us to purchase insurance that will cover Cancel for Any Reason. Most policies will require you to purchase within 15 days of the date you first paid any type of deposit for your trip. If you do that, you are covered for any pre-existing conditions, including cancer. These policies are usually quite expensive.

You must read the policy very, very carefully, to make sure what family members are covered; that is, that it just does not cover your own illness.

I am not sure, now that you posted more details that you need a Cancel for any Reason policy, as most policies I've purchased would have covered me in the situation you describe. It's not a Cancel for Any Reason, it's the ability to cancel and receive your money back if a family member becomes quite ill.

Have you checked with the company that is selling you this package trip to see if they offer coverage? ALso, check this webpage: insuremytrip.com. Read up on some of the policies and then contact one or two of the companies and see what they have to say about providing insurance to you.

I always purchase trip insurance through TravelGuard.com, but don't know if they will provide it to you. Good luck.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

Sorry - read my post and it's not clear. Let's try again.

For every travel insurance policy we've purchased, and we've not bought a cancel for any reason one, we were still covered for any pre-exisitng condition, either ours or for a relative, if we bought the policy within 15 days of making the first deposit for the trip.

Hope that is clearer.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

I've never heard of these policies before today, but it seems there are such things available in N America at least. As per previous poster I imagine they aren't cheap :-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

It may be simpler and cheaper just to book your trip to SL at the last minute. It's unlikely flights and resorts will be full.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip cancellation insurance - "for any reason"

I've never heard of these policies before today, but it seems there are such things available in N America at least. As per previous poster I imagine they aren't cheap :-)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

But OP does not need such a policy. They know why they would cancel, and it's due to a pre-existing medical condition of a relative. As a Canadian, I believe if they go to insuremytrip.com and look through the policies, they can purchase one at a very reasonable price.

However, it must be done within 15 days of the date they first paid any monies for their trip for a pre-existing condition to be covered. If it's past that time, they will have to pay a lot more, but it's possible.

Our last trip I paid $126 for our policy. We had to cancel as one of us got sick. TravelGuard came through and paid us back the $1450 in non-refundable deposits we had already paid for the trip.

I would highly advise OP to take a look at this webpage and then call some agents to obtain information.