We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair & baggage

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
744 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair & baggage

Not too long ago I flew with Ryanair to Oslo.

I sat on the first row,,, the row right next to the plane's door (the row where the flight attendants sit across).

Plane was pretty full and everyone was carrying a hand luggage. Even the small kids had some sort of a backpack.

Just after the last passengers got in but before the stairs were folded in, one of the flight attendants (a female) brought two hand luggages (small suitcases) and threw them outside. Literally threw them outside, not gave them to someone or brought them down the stairs. Apparently there was no more space to store the suitcases. The suitcases flew out of the place and fell to the ground.

I was a bit shocked to see this. Fortunately they were not my and my bf's suitcases although one looked almost like ours.

I immediately thought... hmm... what if the suitcase broke? Or something inside broke?

I know it's a low cost airline but still that is no way to treat a passenger's suitcase. At least in my opinion it is not.

Another thought also sprang to mind... it was about my broken suitcase. It was also with a lowcost airline (not Ryanair, but Skyeurope) and it was not a hand luggage. My suitcase lost it's wheel and handle (the handle that you use to drag a suitcase). Needless to say I had a hard time 'dragging' my suitcase.

With the new 'knowledge' of baggage or hand luggage treatment (being thrown away instead of being handled reasonably) ... no wonder suitcases always somehow got damaged.

I also recently flew with KLM and sat at a window seat just above the door for the checked-in baggages. I saw how they handled the checked-in baggages. The baggages were handled more reasonably.

Is this the difference between a low-cost/budget airlines and an expensive airlines? Should this difference exist just because we pay less?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair & baggage

<<one of the flight attendants (a female) brought two hand luggages (small suitcases) and threw them outside>>

Perhaps they belonged to her boyfriend, with whom she had just had a bad breakup, and she was throwing them out with the rest of the rubbish.

Hradec Kralove, CZ
Level Contributor
494 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair & baggage

Typical Ryanair.

They treat passengers like sh*t (and those fools come back for more) so why should luggage be any different???

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair & baggage

That is why I always carry a very soft bag and store it under the seat. I got fed up with people taking cases which were too large or putting the in the overheads so that they leave no room for other people's bags.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,311 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair & baggage

> I got fed up with people taking cases which were too large

Is that even possible with Ryanair? They are so strict with their dimensions (smaller than most) and their one-bag rule that there should be plenty of space in the lockers.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
744 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair & baggage

>They treat passengers like sh*t (and those fools come back for more) so why should luggage be any different???<

well yeah... fool or not... so far ryanair seems to be the only airline with the cheapest price and lots of destinations... so it's understandable that people keep flying ryanair...

for 20 euro you can fly dusseldorf-gothenburg return for example...

any other flights offer the same thing???

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
744 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair & baggage

>Is that even possible with Ryanair? They are so strict with their dimensions (smaller than most) and their one-bag rule that there should be plenty of space in the lockers.<

So far i rarely see ryanair really force the rule though... in all my flights with ryanair, i only saw it happened once. But that was warranted as the suitcase was clearly overloaded. Even i could see it.

As for the rule 'your purse should also fit in the handluggage'... well... I saw women with a handluggage (or those smaller suitcase) and a shoulder bag (woman's purse) boarding ryanair all the time.

Another problem is... i also saw that nowadays one kid carries one kiddy's suitcase... so yeah... no wonder the lockers in the place get full quickly...

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,232 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair & baggage

My bags get damaged all the time with KLM , i think most baggage handlers are the same and priority stickers make no differance either

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
744 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair & baggage

last time I flew with KLM they treated the baggage a bit better than what i saw with ryanair stewardess.

I saw that because i was sitting on the chair located above the baggage belt near the wing.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair & baggage

I'm not a scientist damsca. But I would be reluctant to build theories around single experiences with particular airlines (such as Ryanair or KLM). I would really need to have more empirical evidence before reaching a conclusion that Ryanair are careless with luggage and that KLM take a lot more care. Your post does not convince me one way or the other.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
744 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair & baggage

Insightful,

I am not trying to convince anyone or you.

I only wrote my experience. Whether one wants to believe it or not, it's up to him.