We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX transfer: United to Air Pacific - enough time?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
LAX transfer: United to Air Pacific - enough time?

I am travelling from SFO to Fiji via LAX on Sat Dec 12th, booked through Expedia. The United flight arrives at Terminal 7 LAX at 824pm and the Air Pacific Flight to Fiji leaves Tom Bradley International terminal at 1030pm. This seems like ample time, but looking at a map of LAX it looks like quite a hike. My wife and I are no strangers to hussling quickly through airports but is this transfer time ok, or maybe pushing it too much with no margin for error? Does anyone know whether United would transfer bags to Air Pacific or whether we would have to claim and recheck them? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

denver, colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX transfer: United to Air Pacific - enough time?

If you're lucky it's enough time. It's not so much the hike between the two terminals, it's the crazy world that is the LAX International terminal. Those check in and security lines can be crazy.

Whether or not United will transfer bags is a difficult one. I've experience both a "yes" and a "no." It's really a pain to claim them and haul them all the way over to the intl terminal. Usually if you get a star at the United counter (which actually is pretty often in my experience), you'll be set and they'll take care of the transfer for you.

Two hours is probably the least amount of time you could by with. If you shake a leg you should be fine. AND if your SFO flight is on time, etc. At least you're not flying far...

Enjoy Fiji! Drink the kava! Gack.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,968 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX transfer: United to Air Pacific - enough time?

HI

call United and ask them

if you can get boarding pass's for Air Pacific

when you check in with United in SFO

then plenty of time. as long as there is no delay

leaving SFO

It is very rare that you can't check bags all the way thru when you fly different air line.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,565 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX transfer: United to Air Pacific - enough time?

Hi,

United and Air Pacific DO in fact maintain an interline relationship. You can even ticket travel on UA when connecting to/from an FJ flight.

As such UA will be able to check your bags all the way to NAN via LAX on FJ.

As always, be sure to check the tag that is applied to your bag(s) before they leave your sight and make sure you retain the claim checks (small white stickers).. Air Pacific may ask to see them in LAX.

Given your planned arrival time, you should be OK with the Air Fiji flight..

Air Pacific's Contact of Carriage doesn't specifically address a cut-off time for check-in at LAX, but I would reasonably think that the cut-off time would be no later than 21:45-- or about :45 to departure..

Therefore, *IF* your UA flight is more than say :45 to 1:00 late into LAX, you'll be running a moderate risk of missing check-in/boarding and/or your bags not making the connection..

If you are at SFO early enough you may want to ask if you can be put onto the no-charge standby list for an earlier flight to LAX if any.

Travel Safe,

4. Re: LAX transfer: United to Air Pacific - enough time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, March 11, 2010