We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will airlines price match?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
Save Topic
Will airlines price match?

Has anyone tried to have an airline match another airline's advertised price?

For example, if I can fly Sydney to Singapore for say $800 with Singapore Airlines, would Qantas match this price for travel on the same date? This scenario is used as an example only.

Just curious if anyone has tried this.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will airlines price match?

Tour operators will often price match, but not sure about airlines. If you have something in mind you would need to check with the airline concerned. Generally the airlines watch each others pricing very closely and will move to match what's in the market anyway. Qantas would like to keep very close to Singapore Airlines, but would probably not try to 'chase' what they see to be lesser carriers.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will airlines price match?

Airline pricing systems are very complex, but also very public. Airline A already knows what Airline B is charging on a particular route. The decision to match or not has already been made by the time you see the price.

If Airline A drops their price at 8am, others may follow by noon, or may not. It all depends on their inventory and dozens of other factors. You would be wasting your time calling and asking for a price match.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will airlines price match?

Hi,

As Tev points out the price match per se has already been done and is in a constant state of being revised as other airlines change fares, the inventory changes, etc.

If you're thinking of the traditional "I call and show them my fare on airline X, they will match it" then in that sense the answer is no. Airlines don't do price matching thru that avenue-- they do it thru repricing their existing seats in unsold inventory to match the market as each airline determines their preferred price point.

Travel Safe,

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will airlines price match?

Yes I assume that is the case, but has anyone actually tried it?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,404 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will airlines price match?

The airline will just tell you to go somewhere else. Remember the airline agent you are talking to on the phone is looking on a computer screen of fares, which are results of a very complex (and often doesn't make sense) system. They won't be able to change the fare.

Airline pricing, as explained is very transparent so if an airline has the intention to match pricing on a route, they will do so themselves. You see this often on popular routes that have huge competition (NYC to LHR, HKG to LHR or SYD), etc. On the other hand, they are less likely to match prices at smaller or non-hub airports.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will airlines price match?

Hi there.

Usually an airline will not match it in economy, however in business or first class, there are possibilities to get it done, especially when more passengers travelling together. Of course, not all airlines cooperate as such, but still there are some options here and there.

On First and Businessclass schedules it surprises me sometimes how far airlines will go for a pricematch.

Be aware though, that there must be a similar routing and product as such, eg BA will not match a fare on say Ethiopian from London to Nairobi, but BA might match VS London to Hong Kong when flights are not expected to be full... (just an example too)

But it's a wild world out there, it is getting limited these days, recession is also going on in the airline business....

Regards

Wiki

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will airlines price match?

There is no one to stop you from asking, but just don't expect to get a yes.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Will airlines price match?

ok i am going to test it out tomorrow on some flights from sydney to lax as this route has a lot of capacity right now. i will let you know how i go

9. Re: Will airlines price match?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, February 24, 2010