We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bonus skymiles not transferred

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
bonus skymiles not transferred

I had transferred 7000 skymiles on delta.com from my wifes account to my account on 08/01/09. During that time they were giving 40% bonus miles and confirmation showed that 7000 + 2800 bonus miles will be transferred.

However when the miles were posted in my account, there were no bonus miles. I have got mail from delta.com confirming that 7000+2800 miles will be transferred.

I had called up skymiles contact number but they could not help much and requested me to fax complaint. I have faxed complain letter along with copy of confirmation.

Has anybody else faced such a situation? What can I expect from Delta now?

thanks in advance

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bonus skymiles not transferred

You may want to read the fine print of offers before you become so upset:

"Miles transferred and bonus miles post to the recipient's account within 7 days"

If you transferred these miles on 08/01/09, it's been only a couple of days. Honestly, you should give them the seven days before you waste your time and their time complaining.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bonus skymiles not transferred

I have read the fine print and I expected both the transferred miles+bonus miles to be credited at same time and not only the transferred miles.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bonus skymiles not transferred

Your expectations don't match DL's rules for this promotion. Give them the seven days. You have a confirmation email; I fully expect them to "give" you the bonus miles.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bonus skymiles not transferred

I think my expectation is not totaly unjustified as there is nothing in the terms and condition to suggest otherwise.

However if its the case as you suggest I have nothing to complain.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bonus skymiles not transferred

Hi Gracie

do you have the details of DL's rules for this promotion.? If so please share the relevant section on when the bonus miles will be transferred.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bonus skymiles not transferred

To answer your original question... "Has anybody else faced such a situation?"

Yes. Bonus miles aren't transferred. They are *added*. and adding takes time. If the rush is because you want to use them, you will have to wait or possibly transfer more miles. 2800 miles shouldn't be a problem should it? You may even be able to buy up.

In any event, there is NO use in complainng to them as you are still in the window for the *added* miles.

I'm sure you have read that you can't shuffle miles back and forth increasing each time by 40%. What a gold mine that would be! The chack has to be carried out.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bonus skymiles not transferred

Hi Geomedic

thanks for the explanation. However the customer service was not able to explain in similar way and they had only suggested faxing the details.

I'm in a hurry as I have got tickets on hold after assuming a timeframe for mile transfer.

As regards to your last para, I don't think that is a profitable idea as you need to pay $0.01/mile +$30 for each transactio.

8. Re: bonus skymiles not transferred

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, February 01, 2010