We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic through baggage

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic through baggage

My question is that I'm flying VS20 SFO-LHR, arriving LHR on Thurs Oct 15 at 10:30, and then taking VS300 LHR-Del on Friday Oct 16 departing at 22:00.

I'm staying in London Thursday night and wondering if anyone knows if I can check my baggage through SFO-DEL and just bring a carry on to use in London rather than collect my checked baggage at LHR.

I kind of think I can't but I'm curious if anyone thinks it's possible.

I appreciate any info, Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,448 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic through baggage

With a layover of more than 24hrs I believe the airline will only tag your bag as far as LHR. There are left luggage places in the terminal at LHR and it is only around £8 a piece for a 24hr period, that was the figure that come up here when this was asked a week ago or so.

If you are on separate itineraries from SFO-LHR and LHR-DEL then you will be forced to collect it anyway.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic through baggage

Hi

Like stated above, technically you do a stopover instead of a stop. Airlines usually do not label through with a layover of more than 24 hrs.

As far as I can see, check in on Virgin in London is max 24 hrs before departure, so indeed, looks like you need to collect the luggage and maybe use the locker or take the luggage with you. If there is a way to check in earlier, that would be your solution, but I haven't found it, you might call Virgin.... 1 800 821 5438

Regards

Wiki

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic through baggage

Thanks for the responses, it's actually not that big of a deal to pick up a couple of suit cases and take 'em to the hotel.

4. Re: Virgin Atlantic through baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 01, 2010