We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tsa regulations

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
tsa regulations

Does anyone know whether or not this is a true statement:

Your luggage must not travel internationally without you.

We were guaranteed that our luggage would travel with us to Cancun even after our flight from DFW was cancelled. It didn't. American Airlines told us they had no record of our bags. They finally arrived 11 hours after we did.

Everyone's so concerned about safety but this kind of thing is very troubling.

I'm just trying to find out if this is indeed factual.

Thanks for your help

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tsa regulations

that's the rule and of course it doesn't always happen. how many times with tight connections do u make the flight and the baggage doesn't? i imagine there is huge amount of "unaccompanied" baggage flying around the world at any one time. basically impossible to comply with that regulation. but we all know what it means if we stop to think about it.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tsa regulations

Seriously & thanks for the info. Do you happen to know where that rule is published?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,658 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tsa regulations

From memory these rules were brought in after the Pan Am bombing over Lockerbie. What it really means IMO is that if you check in baggage for a flight and then don't turn up at the gate then your bags must be offloaded before the flight departs. This has happened to me a few times and is generally because people spend a little too much time in the bar and forget that they have a flight to catch or get lost in the airport somewhere.

Then the baggage handlers have to search for the bags in the hold whilst your plane misses it's take off slot.

Of course sometimes it's the other way around and people on a short connection make it to the aircraft and their luggage does not. In that case the plane will take off and their luggage will follow later if you are lucky. Also bags do get lost all the time or do not make flights and and are forwarded on later flights. It happens evey day thousands of times.

Anyway in essence it was brought in to try to prevent terrorists placing explosives in baggage and then not taking the flight. There's no way that someone (eg a terrorist) can predict that they will get on the flight and their bags will not so it is considered safe to put them on later flights.

Of course sadly since Lockerbie terrorists have found even more deadly ways to use aircraft.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tsa regulations

sorry i dont know where it is published but when a passenger doesn't turn up on a flight that he/she has checked in for landside then the bags are generally unloaded. however once the bags are in transit ie. supposedly the secure area, it doesn't seem to matter whether the passenger is "with them" or not. but having said that i have a number of times (in the usa) tried when in transit to get on an earlier flight than i have been booked on and been refused because my bags wouldn't be travelling with me.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,746 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tsa regulations

Hi,

It *is* a rule in the US, but it applies to only outbound international flights from the US (not wholly domestic) and is called PPBM or Positive Passenger Bag Match.. And as previously mentioned it came into being largely after the PanAm tragedy... Many foreign carriers follow it as well as a best-practice.

In general it requires that carriers verify that only checked bags whose "owners" (or passenger) actually board the flight are loaded onto the aircraft.. This is why for international flights it's not uncommon to hear the gate agent page a long list of names well ahead of the cabin door closing..

As each passenger boards the aircraft, their bags are taken off the list of no-go bags.. At a point close to departure both the ramp (baggage handlers) and the gate agent now have the remaining list which shows (by process of elimination) who has not boarded the aircraft and what bags, if any, they checked-in earlier.. If the passenger doesn't board, the bags are removed.. In many cases this results in a departure delay as the baggage handlers have to dig around to find the specific bag(s) in question.

This process also applies to passengers and bags who make connections from a domestic flight to an international flight and had their bags "thru" checked..

There are some approved exceptions for bags to travel (on international flights) without their respective owners, but they are limited to missed connection and lost/found bags with claims pending..

Travel Safe,

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,870 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tsa regulations

The case mentioned by the OP happens quite often and it's not unusual. It happened to me last year too when I was flying JFK-LHR. At the lounge, BA was nice enough to page us to let us know the original aircraft we had checked-in with our bags had a mechanical issue so they were kind enough to put us on another flight that departed at about the same time with an upgrade (once in a great while, Oneworld status matters even with BA!). The only problem is our bags never made it and we didn't see them again until two days later.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tsa regulations

Thanks everyone for the great info. The thing that really troubles me is that everytime we inquired about our bags no one knew where they were & their system showed no record. I would have thought that the barcode on the luggage tag would tell them. I think a luggage cam is in order as I would love to know where they went between San Diego & Cancun:)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,746 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tsa regulations

Hi,

Erin, unlike say a FedEx package your bags are not scanned as often as you'd think.. Normally there are only about 3 or 4 scans total.. First would be when the tag is created at the check-in point and applied to the bag. The second normally is when the bag reaches the bag room where bags are sorted into different carts or conatainers for their aircraft. The third is when the bag or container comes off the aircraft at the destination station. And the last would be when the bag is deposited onto the reclaim belt.. Scanning is still done in most locations and by most carriers manually with some type of a hand-held scanning device.

Until better technology, such as RFID tags used in HKIA, become become more prevalent and gains industry-wide acceptance and usage, we're stuck with the current system which basically relies on a person to make the conscious effort to scan all bags at each selected point..

That's how bags sometimes go "missing" without a trace-- they've simply not been scanned as necessary to give the baggage systems better visibility.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tsa regulations

Scary!!! There really needs to be a better system. I've learned quite a bit from everyone's comments. Thanks.

Erin

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tsa regulations

<<There really needs to be a better system>>>

And who would pay for it? Would passengers be happy to pay a surcharge to guaratee seeing their luggage again?

One airline - Ryanair - is trying to eliminate hold luggae, so no bags go missing.

But then they refer to passengers as "self-loading luggage"! Nice!