We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights...Phl-Buf-?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Flights...Phl-Buf-?

Hi everyone,

I'm from Philadelphia and I need to know if there are any flights out of PHL that connect in Buffalo (destination city does not matter).

Coming home from Buffalo, I can do BUF-PHL-Harrisburg for very cheap and hop off in PHL. But getting to Buffalo, especially nonstop, is expensive. So I was hoping there was a flight route where Buffalo was the connecting city between Philly and somewhere else.

I've done some research but no luck yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,663 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights...Phl-Buf-?

What you are suggesting is not allowed by the airlines. They can, and have, retroactively charged people for the direct flight.

You may think that you aren't costing the airline anything by getting off early, but you are. They could have sold the connecting seat.

This is not a wise thing to do. Also, you would not be able to check any luggage

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
105 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights...Phl-Buf-?

In addition to what GeoMedic had to say, the answer to your question is no.

Suggest two things:

1) Make the 100 drive to BWI and fly Southwest to Buffalo. Have made the trip often and generally pricing is good.

2) Drive from PHL to Buffalo. Only about 6.5 hours and all Interstate.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights...Phl-Buf-?

I've never heard of someone being charged after the fact, but thanks for the info. And no, I would not be checking any luggage.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,578 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights...Phl-Buf-?

Hi,

Missy, what Geo is correctly stating by purchasing airline tickets you implicitly agreed to their Contract of Carriage. Each airline has their own, but are for the most part very similar.

Contained within the Contract is language that prohibits many things, such as using flight coupons (tickets) in any order other than how they were originally issued and not using any coupon or skipping a coupon. It may seem odd, but the airline contract in effect requires you to use the entire ticket in the exact order as was issued.

If you fail any of these conditions, the airline has the right to re-calculate your fare and charge you the difference. In almost all cases this results in a higher fare than you've already paid.

That said, one could argue the *probability* of this happening to you-- and to be fair it happens rarely. But remember that the airline in most cases already has your form of payment (credit card information) on file. They could additionally seize any mileage you have earned in their program or similar.

Again, this is not to say this will or would happen to you, only to better illustrate why others express caution about doing so.

Travel Safe,

5. Re: Flights...Phl-Buf-?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 01, 2010