We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX 6hr stopover

St. John
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
LAX 6hr stopover

I will be flying all day from Virgin Islands to reach LAX, then have 6hrs in airport. Was there 3yrs ago and it was total chaos, any suggestions for quiet relaxation before my 16 1/2 hr trip to Brisbane?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX 6hr stopover

Take a taxi ride to Manhattan Beach and hang out for a few hours. Try to check your luggage through to your next flight before you do, however.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX 6hr stopover

Hi,

Six hours in the airport is alot-- that's true-- however, if you chose to leave the airport and go somewhere *be sure* to leave more than enough time for the trip back and getting thru the international pre-departure process in time..

I'd also suggest the Prominade @ Howard Hughes Center-- one of the closest large malls to LAX-- has a Nordstrom Rack inside or the South Bay Galleria- down the road in Redondo Beach..

http://www.southbaygalleria.com/

http://www.hhpromenade.com/

St. John
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX 6hr stopover

Thanks all for the advice but it seems earliest I can check baggage will be 4hrs before flight, so that will not be until 6.30 which would not work as i/n check-in 3hrs before flight. Anything new in LAX since 2006?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX 6hr stopover

we face the same problem and have decided to sit it out. we travel thru there on a regular basis, luckily most times getting a timely ongoing flight. and there is absolutely nothing going for that airport at any of the terminals. if anything the place, despite some cosmetic surgery, has gotten worse. crowded, dirty and frenetic. but we will have our books and ipods. and people watching at lax is always a diversion. imo tbit departures would have the "best" landside eating but that's not saying much.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX 6hr stopover

I always get stuck at LAX for hours. Last time I was there was for a flight to Sydney.

If you are coming in from St. John and heading to Australia you ought to be in Thomas Bradley (the INTL Terminal) which is far superior to the normal part of the airport.

As I recall is has several resturants. I would buy some books and/or magazines and get something to eat. Then camp out at the terminal. When I was there it was DEAD before my flight - so I just dozed in a chair.

I don't think I would attempt to leave the airport though. Bad traffic or anything slowing you down could be disasterous IMO.

St. John
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX 6hr stopover

Thks for replies about LAX itself. Yes, I am now resigned to hanging out in airport. I acutally have to go to Miami first and will be flying by AA. I have a seperate ticket for my Quantas flt, so will have luggage with me. Although Qantas, is partner airline, I do not think I can check it all the way through unless I bought a ticket from STT to BRIS., unfortunately. Just wish LAX was a "world-class" airport as it should be a "showcase" to all visiting the States for the first time. Thks all!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX 6hr stopover

Thks for replies about LAX itself. Yes, I am now resigned to hanging out in airport. I acutally have to go to Miami first and will be flying by AA. I have a seperate ticket for my Quantas flt, so will have luggage with me. Although Qantas, is partner airline, I do not think I can check it all the way through unless I bought a ticket from STT to BRIS.,

Have your itinerary to hand when you check-in at STT and ask if you can send it all the way to BNE. AA are under no obligation to do it but someone might help you out. The one thing I find about AA's operation at STT is that it always seems very understaffed with the onus being on all passengers to use the kiosks, even those in premium cabins.

Personally I'd do something just to get off the airport property. A favourite hangout of mine at LAX is the In N'Out Burger on Sepulveda just beyond the airport property. You can walk from Terminal 4 (AA's terminal) to TBIT and check-in for your Qantas flight there. Then take the Parking Spot buses (bright yellow with spots) to the Sepulveda garage. Tell them you self parked and give the driver a few bucks, then walk out the back to the In N'Out Burger (the door even has a 'This Way to In N' Out' sign!). If you don't like fast food it can be an interesting place to watch the aircraft coming in directly over you, and there is a little park type area there. I pop over there even if I have a 2hr or so connection, the ride really only is a couple of minutes.

The view is something like this:

airliners.net/photo/…

airliners.net/photo/…

airliners.net/photo/…

St. John
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX 6hr stopover

Thanks for the alternative suggestion. Much appreciated. I agree about STT airport....have to fly out each year when I make a trip. Cannot hurt to try with luggage but not the most efficent counter service!!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,167 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX 6hr stopover

I would cab over to Venice Beach where you can just walk, shop and catch a bite to eat (this is Mexican food country) B4 heading back to the terminal - might even have time to rent a push bike for an hour.

10. Re: LAX 6hr stopover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 24, 2010