We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Precision Air and flights to Zanzibar and inside Tanzania

Louisiana
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Precision Air and flights to Zanzibar and inside Tanzania

I feel it is my duty to warn everyone against flying with Precision air while in Africa.The airline, despite numerous confirmations, lost our reservations on every leg of our trip, as well as another couple traveling with us. I have never been that stressed out while traveling. We also lost our luggage, and attempts to get your luggage back are insanely difficult. I also question the security of the airline. No one ever asked for identification from me. I flew in and around a Muslim/3rd world country without my passport being checked. In fact one of our tickets spelled our last name wrong. The people at the counter do not speak good English, making any problem that much more difficult. They just wave you away and say "no worries" when you are missing baggage and flight reservations. There were many other people in line that had missed flights and had the same types of problems. We found the only way to get them to accept us on our flight was to yell and not back down. Also double check all the luggage tags and your flight tickets to make sure you are scheduled to fly into the right city. They also tried to tell us that our reservation had been changed "last minute" to fly out of another city. Do not fly with them if you don't want to ruin your vacation.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,238 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Precision Air and flights to Zanzibar and inside Tanzania

I am sorry your visit was marred by some bad experiences but I would point out I have no idea what Airport(s) caused you the problem.

You mention flying in and around a "Muslim 3rd World country"

Iraq, Afghanistan, Indonesia or where? I guess you either mean Kenya or Tanzania? The Island of Unguja (Zanzibar) has no internal flights as they only have one airport.

Then please take note that losing luggage is not confined to East Africa. A perusal of these pages will show it can, and does, happen anywhere.

Precision is a small airline. Are you sure it was their fault and not that of your agents or the baggage handlers of the International carrier you arrived on?

Once you arrived in Tanzania I doubt you were planning to stick close to your place of arrival but would be heading up country on Safari. This again makes re-connecting with your kit rather difficult.(But I bet they coped.) If your International Jumbo Luggage allowance was fully utilised it could well be that there simply was not room on the onward flight with Regional in their small ATR planes and some had to be held back for space on another plane.

Was your ID truly not checked or were you too busy 'yelling' to hear the request? Why exactly do you expect people from other countries to speak to you fluently in your native language and not their mother tongue? Does this happen in say Germany, Italy or France?

And for your one post saying your names were mispelled and, shock - horror, they STILL let you fly, do please check out the 100s of angry posts complaining that quite the opposite happened to them and they had to buy another ticket.

Finally if this Airline is to go on the "Do not Fly list" could you let us know any alternative you can recommend?

watford
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Precision Air and flights to Zanzibar and inside Tanzania

I agree with you my luggage has got "lost" three times coming back from DAR with connections in Amsterdam and Zurich because the connection times at both airports was less than an hour.Amsterdam and Zurich are both top class airports and could not get my luggage back to London on the same flight as me.

Phil

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Precision Air and flights to Zanzibar and inside Tanzania

I have been to Zanzibar a couple of times and it is true that both the airport at DAR and in Zanzibar can be (and mainly are) a little disorganised. Last time we were there, dangerously close to missing our international connection from DAR back to the UK we paid someone (who knows if he was even a proper pilot) to fly us over to DAR. He did and we lived but it was not without a certain dread that we left with them. I didn't have to YELL to make it happen, lets just say some furious negotiating and much waving of hands was required.

Joking aside. My tips would be don't take anything too valuable, leave plenty of time and try not to fly in and out on the day of your international connection.

I haven't lost luggage on that trip, but it can be a bit stress inducing. I mainly take it as it is and not worry too much.

4. Re: Precision Air and flights to Zanzibar and inside Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, October 07, 2009
5. Re: Precision Air and flights to Zanzibar and inside Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, April 06, 2010