We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New passport different than the air ticket

Toronto
4 posts
Save Topic
New passport different than the air ticket

Hi all, I am in a difficult situation and would appreciate any help I could get.

I have purchased a airline ticket under my maiden name since that was the name on my passport and US visa, but since my passport is expiring in a few months, I requested the renewal, and now I have a passport that doesn't match my ticket.

I am going through a divorce and because it didn't get finalized yet, I couldn't get my passport under my maiden name.

I have called the airline companies I will be using (3) and one included a note on my reservation about this, the others, didn't help at all. (United and Air Canada)

I will need to take my old passport with me as my US visa is in it (with my maiden name) matching my ticket, but new passport has a different name. If I take my marriage certificate and all possible documents I can find... do you think they will let me board? Should I try going to the airport before to try to ask and do something?

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: New passport different than the air ticket

You have a Brasilian passport, so all amendments have to be done there. I don't believe they can amend it back to the old name. The US visa is in the old passport (which if it is canceled, has holes in it?) Therefore, your visa is not valid to enter the US?

I'm sure you can take all those documents with you, but the canceled passport is a big deal. I would continue to pursue the airlines for ticket name change.

I think you really goofed up and may have a difficult time fixing it in a timely manner.

I would not depend on any specific info here--go to the consulate first and get the proper answers from officials--in writing.

I can tell you there is a bone of contention between Brasil and the US w/visas and it's been going on for quite a few years. I say this so you know you may not get much sympathy on the US end--just as the Brasilian consulates here on withholding visas and playing the reciprocal fee game.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: New passport different than the air ticket

Airlines are not permitted to allow you to board w/out proper documentation. They can be fined thousands orf dollars for any minor error, so make sure you get it right before you travel. You may get Mary Sunshine who thinks it's ok because she doesn't know your next obstacle.

Good luck and do you homework before departure to avoid any disappointments.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: New passport different than the air ticket

there is a Brazilian Empassy in Ontario:

450 Wilbrod Street

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

K1N 6M8

Tel.:

(613) 237-1090

(613) 755-5160

Fax.:

(613) 237-6144

mailbox@brasembottawa.org

It is open mornings Monday through Friday

There is a Brazilian Consulate in Toronto, but it is not clear if they deal with passports, but it would be worth ringing them to enquire.

I would ring the Brazilian Embassy in Ontario to see if there is anyway they can add your maiden name to your new passport. If the same name appears on both passports, the visa and your ticket, you should be fine. You can get in that position by 1. changing your passport, 2. adding an aka to you current passport, 3. changing the name on your ticket (but that doesnt solve the problem of the different name on uyour passport).

It would also be worth checking with the US Embassy to confirm that the life the visa extends past the life of the passport.

It certainly does in England (you bring your cancelled passport, plus the new one, through immigration, and they add a new stamp to the new passport) but the US has a habit of going its own way.

Whatever else, I would scramble around now to avoid the risk of being turned away on the day. It could go the way you hope, but if it didn't the consequences would be expensive.

Toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: New passport different than the air ticket

Thanks again...

The situation is getting more and more complicated.

I have called the Brazilian consulate... and there is nothing they can do with my passport (such as changing the name or adding a aka)

I checked the US Embassy website, my VISA will still be valid after my passport expires, but I will need a new passport matching the name exactly (here is another problem)

They also mention that I should have a new VISA issued in case of name change...

I will go to the airport today or tomorrow to try to get some information...

Besides that, I guess my only option will be cancelling my air ticket ($200US fee) and getting a new one, direct flight with the name on my new passport, so I don't have any problems in the US with VISA/PASSPORT/TICKET...

I will just need somehow to get an extra $2000 CAD to pay for the new ticket... =/

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: New passport different than the air ticket

Good heavens! Have you checked with the Brazilian Embassy in Ottowa, not just the Consulate??

Consulates have fewer powers than Embassies and it looked from the website as though only the Brazilian Embassy issued passports. (That is the way that it works for issuing new British passports in the US.) I would be surprised if the Brazilian Embassy could not add an aka to your passport. I had it added to a US passport and the Embassy in London is very very careful about all sorts of things. I also know the Americans recognise aka additions because that is name that I travel on to the US on my US passport.

I would recommend you give it one more phone call to the Brazilian Embassy. Good luck!

Toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: New passport different than the air ticket

I have called and first the person tried to say that if I have renewed my passport at the Toronto Consulate, I would need to talk only to them... so I left a message on someone's vm... hopefully they will return my call...

I don't know what to do...

Even if I change my ticket... US VISA won't match... and if I also manage to change my US VISA on time, my PR won't match...

I am also emailing the US Consulate here to see if I get anything ...

Thanks!

17. Re: New passport different than the air ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 am, January 10, 2010