We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Seychelles

Cheshire
13 posts
Save Topic
Air Seychelles

Hi looking for some advice,

We have recently booked our honeymoon to Mauritius leaving on 6th Sept'09.

We booked sometime ago and as we have not really flown to many places before I didn't take much notice of what airline we would be travelling on.

We are currently going with Air Seychelles and I've just been reading reviews and info on their aircrafts (Boeing 767 300) and the reviews are not good. From what I can gather the planes are quite old and they don't even have rear seat entertainment which I thought was a standard thing these days on long haul flights.

So just wondered if anybody else has been on Air Seychelles recently and am I wrong!

I have left a message with the travel agent to find out if we can possibly swap flights to Emirates (as there is a flight that leaves Heathrow virtually the same time) but if it is going to cost of £1000's to change then I doubt we would be able to afford it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers, Tom

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Seychelles

I flew on Air Seychelles a few years ago. On the day we were able to upgrade to business class by paying 250GBP each one way. Obviously this depends on there being space available, but money well spent in my opinion.

Cheshire
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Seychelles

We just heard from the Travel Agent...it is possible for us the change flights to Emirates as the tickets have not yet been issued..at a cost of £500.

WE also would get to fly from Manchester 30mins away from where we live rather than Heathrow which is about 3 hours away.

Still deciding if the £500 is worth it...but we tink that's what we will go for.

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Seychelles

I have never flown Air Seychelles, so can't help you there. But I can answer the question about the age of their aircraft. Air Seychelles currently only have 4 (four) Boeing 767s. One 767-200, one 767-200ER and two 767-300ERs. The two -300ERs were built in Oct 1996 and Feb 2001, which is not all that old. But Emirates obviously would be on a newer aircraft, and presumably better service.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Seychelles

Laney,

That seems a hefty chunk of money to "switch" given that tickets haven't been issued. Do a quick search on your own for what they airfare should be. I did just that. While I don't know your return date, I get a fare difference of about 100 GBP (sometimes no difference) per person between the airlines. If that person was my travel agent, they'd have some explaining to do.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Seychelles

<<If that person was my travel agent, they'd have some explaining to do.>>

And the explanation might very well be 'we made a booking for you on AM and there is a cancellation charge'

If it was me I'd swap to Emirates to cut out the extra leg down to London, with the proviso to make sure you aren't losing out on legroom.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Seychelles

It is hard to imagine a contract for carriage that doesn't include two willing, informed, competant parties, and consideration (English law). As, apparently, tickets had not been purchased, there is no contract with the airline.

If they are able to explain why it costs that much, fine, but it seems rather an onerous price for no tickets being purchased and other tickets being purchased in their place.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Seychelles

<<As, apparently, tickets had not been purchased>>

What leads you to that belief? The OP said they hadn't been *issued* but that's a different Q as to whether they have been *purchased*.

When I buy flights on American Airlines, which I usually do over the web several several months in advance, it can take a few weeks for the tickets to be issued but I've still, AFAIK, made a contract with them to buy those tickets and couldn't back out. Or do you know different? I've never tried to cancel so maybe its still possible without penalty at that stage in which case I stand corrected?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
412 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Seychelles

Here's a link with some current and past reviews. Just more information for you to digest.

airlinequality.com/Forum/air_seychelles.htm

London
Level Contributor
849 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Seychelles

Hi

The Air Seychelles connection to Mauritius is quite long winded now that the London to Seychelles flight touches down in Frankfurt or Zurich, but it is the only connection on from Seychelles and the aircraft that goes onwards does wait for the London flight if anything goes amiss.

On board there are no seat back screens, but there is entertainment running through the whole flight so there is plenty to watch. Also, if you stuck with what you have you could buy a personal DVD player for the difference in fare.

In flight service is good and the food is generally pretty decent.

But perhaps the biggest plus is where you change aircraft, i.e. Seychelles. There are never more than 4 long haul aircraft on the ground so getting between planes is an absolute doddle unlike the Gulf where you change in the middle of the night in a massive terminal. Oh and the duty free prices in Dubai are now higher than Heathrow, so that little plus is out of the window too.

My thought: stick with what you have, but prepare by getting a few extra mags, maybe your own DVD player and then sit back and relax.....with your free glass of bubbly in economy class.....

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,157 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Seychelles

Hi Tom

Flew Air Seychelles a few years back and thought the seating was very comfortable compared to Emirates. We were going to the Seychelles so it was the obvious choice of airline.

But - We also are from the north of England and the Heathrow leg and transfer is something to be avoided IMO, and we always fly Emirates in spite of the 3-4-3 configuration in economy, when going to Mauritius, Thailand or Australia if we can. We are booked with Emirates for our trip to Sri Lanka in November, so the "cramped seating" can't be that bad!

As to the costs involved, I think others have cleared that up quite well for you.

Have a great holiday

Mazza :-)