We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northwest Airlines

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Northwest Airlines

What a joke! Do not fly NWA. My 2 daughters have been stuck in an airport hotel in Rome for 2 days, along with 200 other people from Detroit, and still they do not have a plane. NW is flying out later flights but has put all of these people off for 2 days!!! NW agents have been no help. Trying to get a person on the phone to talk to is impossible - what crummy customer service. No wonder the airlines are losing money. Do NOT fly NW or Delta unless you have no plans to be anywhere...unfortunately you are completely at the airline's mercy. Lord save us all.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northwest Airlines

Here we go again.

Choice... Inconvenience 200 people twice as long or inconvenience 400 people. Best choice is keep irritating the 200 people. I'm sure nobody wants the mess cleared up more than the airline. Is there a cause?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northwest Airlines

Jeez, Ronaldo is gonna have to re write that list. Sp many additions and deletions it is getting confusing.

Mostly from one post wonders.

Like GeoMedic says. Please give a reason for this enforced stay. I would love two extra days in Rome.

and in your case the compensation is adding up nicely. (You DO know of the compensation?)

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,968 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northwest Airlines

HI

another 1 post 3rd party wonder.

a lot of the latest 1 posters have been 3rd party.

here we go again.

haveing had children ,now adult"almost grown up."

You can not believe 100% of what they say. Usually 50% if lucky, keep digging if you want to find out the real truth.

to go on a forum with a rant with no facts or details based on what your 2 daughter's have told you is Juvemile ,over reacting, over protective.

I think you will find there is a valid reason why the flight was delayed you girls called home crying wolf and you fell for it like you always do.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northwest Airlines

Updating my previous message. Thank you GeoMedic for actually "believing" what I posted. I complained to the airlines and they did give us 2 vouchers for travel within the next year. The airline did pay for the passengers food & hotel. This hotel was NOT in the center of Rome, some of the beds had bedbugs although my daughters said their room was fine except for the leaking air conditioner. They had been in Rome for 6 weeks doing a study abroad so were anxious to come home.

As for my daughters making up a story about the airline - not a chance. We met them in Detroit, we talked to other people who were also waiting for the passengers. I don't appreciate Boise, Idaho's snotty reply - keep your silly opinions to yourself.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,606 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northwest Airlines

Without knowing the reason for the delay, how NW dealt with pax in Rome, whether the delayed flight was direct (NW49) or routed through AMS (with the potential for a codeshare with KL) it's a bit tricky to say that NW should definitely be added to the do not fly list RonaldoC is keeping.

If the ground agents for NW in Rome were not forthcoming with news about the irrops it would have been difficult for NW in Michigan to give pax's families any information: I suspect you would have been disappointed had you been given conjecture or incorrect information during the delay.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,968 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northwest Airlines

HI

you still haven't stated what caused the delay.

or any other facts dealing with this flight and its problems

but it seems if you now have vouchers NWA

was aware and tryed to solve the delay as best they could.

When you take travel personal you will always have difficulty. No airline is out to get you.

You daughters were just unlucky just like the probably hundreds of others affected by this delay.

but in the end you all got home safely. albeit a few days late. that is the important part

I stand by my snotty remarks LOL

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northwest Airlines

Yes so do I.

When you have been on the TA Forum a while you will realise that a lot of folks take the slightest problem out of all proportion and jump on here screaming "NorthWest, What a Joke, do not fly them!" or many permutations of the same theme just changing the names.

When you get down to basic facts it was just an unfortunate blip in the life of an airline.

When you get over your personal afront at the way your daughters were allegedly treated you will realise a possible cause of the lack of response to your bleats was that NWA staff were all committed to sorting the problem and had no time left to answer indignant parents.

And if you felt the need to rush in to help out at 4,000 miles distance, then you should consider whether you should have let them travel without your guardianship in the first place.

It is not that we do not believe or disbelieve you, you did not supply any facts to back up your rant to help us form a judgement.

200 folks stuck in Rome instead of heading to Detroit is scarcely a base from which to make a value judgement as to why airlines are losing money.

As you say. Lord save us all. Some before others.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northwest Airlines

Parnelly... please have them write a review of the hotel. While bed bugs are fairly common, it is always good to get impressions of any hotel.

I have no problem believing plane loads of people being stranded. It happens all the time, and it is a real hassle when it does. The problem the airlines face is deadheading a large aircraft half way around the world... after finding one to use. It ends up being a very expensive undertaking (fuel alone is hundreds of thousands). Sometimes airlines get teased. They think they have the mechanical solution figured out and they ship the required parts only to find out that the problem is a bit worse and more parts are needed. With other airlines operating nearly full flights, it takes a while to get people situated on alternate flights, especially if there is a connection.

A few years ago BA had a plane load of people stuck in Australia for almost a week.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northwest Airlines

Sawadekae needs to get a life and Mfuwe works for NWA. The airline never said what the problem was...but everything is peachy keen now. The only person on this forum who had anything relevant and actually useful to say in response to my messages has been GeoMedic. Unfortunately, after having to read the ridiculous replies on Tripadvisor, I'd wouldn't suggest anyone post a message in this forum. I'm sure that's why there are "one hit wonders."

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northwest Airlines

"Mfuwe works for NWA"

LOL

and for every other airline over the years it would seem. he is as busy changing airline jobs as is world voyager (mia or just on holidays?). with that one statement i am afraid u have become the joke, parnelly. all cred out the window with that one lame standard retort. but glad everything worked out for u eventually. but what u orginally described is not unsual and happens on a quite regular basis. i was "stranded" in honolulu once for a week at the airline's expense. mind you i didn't clamour to get home too loudly from that particular location. as i would not have done from rome either.

i will be flying NWA in a few weeks without any second thoughts. sorry not to be able to take your advice.