We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aircards / Mobile broadband usage on airplanes

Wisconsin
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Aircards / Mobile broadband usage on airplanes

Hi everyone - I will be on an international flight and was wondering if I can use my Sprint mobile broadband card while in the air. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aircards / Mobile broadband usage on airplanes

Nope. Nothing that tramsmits or receives is permitted. You have to turn all devices off.

Plus, at altitude you are far away from towers. 39,000 feet is almost 7 1/2 miles away from a tower if it is immediately below you.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,925 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aircards / Mobile broadband usage on airplanes

It is not allowed, and wouldn't work anyway for several reasons.

1. Cell networks only exist on land, so you would be out of luck when over the water on an international flight.

2. The cell towers were designed to communicate with users on the ground, not aircraft 7 miles up.

3. The networks were not designed to hand off from tower to tower at 500 MPH.

Some airlines do offer Wi-Fi in flight. Your standard wireless network card (802.11x) connects to a router on the aircraft, which then connects to the internet. There are different technologies that connect the plane to either a ground based or satellite based network. Seatguru can probably tell you what, if any, internet options your airline and aircraft offer.

3. Re: Aircards / Mobile broadband usage on airplanes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, November 30, 2009