We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines and Flight Centre

G I
adelaide
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Airlines and Flight Centre

It has been reported widely within the local media and in Singapore regarding the spat between SIA and FC on incentives / commissions to sell SIA / Silk fares. Word is that FC are actively trying to discourage passengers requesting SIA fares and to switch to "alternate preferred carriers" with the possibility of actually refusing to take SIA bookings. The fact this could add hours of additional travel and additional flights needs to be remenbered. SIA are themselves aparantly directing prospective passemgers to alternate travel agents.

Personally I am disapointed as FC owe me a substancial instore credit from a travel issue earlier this year and it was negotiated strictly on the basis that I could utilise it on a planned SIA flight to Germany and London (want to fly the new 380).

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Airlines and Flight Centre

dont think u have much to worry about.

this was in the aus. "Flight Centre spokesman Haydn Long said yesterday that the travel chain would still sell Singapore seats on request but it was no longer actively promoting the airline."

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
377 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Airlines and Flight Centre

This is just one more reason to book directly with the airlines rather than paying travel agents commissions.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
971 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Airlines and Flight Centre

Interestingly I got an email from Singapore Airlines saying that they are no longer dealing with Flight Centre.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Airlines and Flight Centre

I got the same email. Singapore Air's website is so good, able to select seat, make my vego meal request, check in online, etc, and their fares just as good, that I wouldn't bother with FC again. In fact, the last time I requested a ticket to Japan with SQ, the travel agent had the gall to tell me they didn't fly to my city, and I had to insist they did. Why bother with that, when there's the internet.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,352 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Airlines and Flight Centre

An agent we use told us that we were wasting our time trying to get SIA flights other than through direct booking as no-one was allowed to undercut SIA. Perhaps FC has made a stand against this restrictive practice and SIA doesn't like it. Or perhaps not ..........

6. Re: Singapore Airlines and Flight Centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:33 am, November 22, 2009