We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just trying to make an informed decision...

Raleigh
3 posts
Save Topic
just trying to make an informed decision...

I'm new to this online traveling thing and I saw this ad about a company that offered a very good deal to Honolulu...I just wanted to see if anybody has heard about this company before http://www.meliatravel.com/ (sorry for the text I don't know how to post links) if so would you recommend doing business with them or should I go another route...

Also since I am new and don't want to depend on others, could anyone give me some tips as to what to look for in travel sites...there are just sooooo many and based on what I've read so far in the forums there are soo many factors to consider.

Your help is really appreciated...

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just trying to make an informed decision...

1. Read ALL the small print before you start.

2. If it seems to good to be true it most likely is.

3. Remember somebody out there is trying to sell you something. Check it is what you really want. a plane ticket NOT a promise to find one for you.

4. when you have done all that, read the small print again. Surprising how easy it is to miss bits.

5. Now start to buy the ticket for the flight you want. proceed very carefully and uncheck any prefilled boxes that you do not want such as "Free" anything or Insurance. You want a ticket from A-B.

6. Read everything slowly and carefully. do not hesitate to click out if unsure and start again.

7. ONLY when you are absolutely sure that you are buying what you think you are buying, start to fill in personal details and CHECK how you spell your name. It must match your ID or Passport.

8. reread the whole lot before adding your Credit Card details.

9. Only proceed from here if you are absolutely SURE everything is correct. Watch for Baggage, Credit Cards and other hidden charges. There is no going back once you

10. Press send.

Make sure you get instant EMail confirmation that matches what you think you bought.

Good luck.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just trying to make an informed decision...

Nicely put, mfuwe, especially numbers one through three.

But I would add one more. If you see a fare that is just what you can afford for the dates and times you would like, do one thing before booking with a third party.

Go to the airline's website and make a dummy booking (ie go through the motions up to the payment page) and see what the airline offers for that booking. If the difference is minimal, book with the airline. If the difference is less than $US50, book with the airline. If the difference is more than $US50, call the airline and ask if they'll match what the third party online agent will offer.

In the very great majority of cases, an airline will offer the lowest fares available for travel. When booking directly with an airline rather than with a consolidator, you have the advantage of having a sound fall back position should irrops (irregular operations) happen: a plane goes tech, weather issues etc. When you book with an airline and things go pear-shaped, you need deal only with the airline, since your contract of carriage will be with that airline.

Trickier than it sounds, isn't it?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,881 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just trying to make an informed decision...

mfuwe... We should make a sticky out of your response.

WV... what's so bad about pear-shaped? I've been that way for a few years now, and my wife just keeps... oh... I see. Never mind.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,881 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just trying to make an informed decision...

WV??? so sorry TP!

Raleigh
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: just trying to make an informed decision...

wow thank you guys! this is all great info...thank you again...

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just trying to make an informed decision...

Pearshaped and Dyslexic GM?

In short TP you are saying 'book direct'.

Bit like a famous old Yorkshire Cricketer when advising whether his team should bat first after winning the 'toss.' "Nine times out of ten, don't even think abart it, just bat first." "Tenth time think abart it a while then Bat first."

Glad to help ugek010.

7. Re: just trying to make an informed decision...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:39 am, November 16, 2009