We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa or visa waiver program for australians

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
visa or visa waiver program for australians

Ok this has been asked lots but i still don't know what to do so i'll give some details. Well i have 2 charges on record I was 17 and 9 years ago and got caught with weed and a pipe dumb i know.Im not a druggie! I was a teenager! I haven't any other arrests since. I'm applying for a visa and hope I get one. My boyfriend though had a drink driving charge 9 years ago he was 18. His other charge is 2 years ago for refusiung to leave the premises and contravening arrest ot something like that. Should he go the visa waiver program coz its probably not moral turpitude or should we both get visas and how likely is it we will both get visas. Im worried I wish I could just get excited about going stupid bloody laws! We actually bought tickets coz they were extremly cheap so we took the risk. I don't want Aidan to go the visa waiver program and get sent home.

Thanks for any advice, has anyone attended an interview with similar crimes?? and what's it like going through the gates at LAX.

West Sussex, Great...
Level Contributor
174 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa or visa waiver program for australians

Have you look at the DHS website?

FWIW, I would err on the side of caution and contact the US embassy for advice, this really isn't the place to ask.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa or visa waiver program for australians

definitely apply for a visa!

do not try to circumnavigate the usa immigration laws.

u will most likely be caught, detained and deported.

it is obvious from reading the the conditions of the visa waiver program that u cannot use it when u have a criminal record.

cairns
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visa or visa waiver program for australians

was your partner charged? If not then you should have no problems with visa waiver.You find there more interested in ex murders and the likes.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: visa or visa waiver program for australians

He was charged went to court for both, got a suspended licence for dui and good behaviour bond for other and is on court records. Im def gonna get a visa.... but him??????

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: visa or visa waiver program for australians

Also how likely that we will get a visa. I really realy hope it was so long ago. My boyfriends recent charge concerns me but it is so minor.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,138 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: visa or visa waiver program for australians

US is VERY sniffy about anything to do with drugs so you are a bigger problem than your BF as drugs are definitely a crime of "moral turpitude" (unlike say hitting someone over the head with a baseball bat which isn't).

Assuming you aren't on a work visa the best option - which you can't use now - is to lie as it's unlikely the US immigration folk have access to Australian criminal records.

As you have applied for a visa you will have to supply them with your criminal record. Just hope the Oz authorities don't include your conviction

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: visa or visa waiver program for australians

I just wanted to add I went for the visa and got one because my charges occurred when I was a minor. They didn't even ask for any documents. Im happy now yay. My boyfriend is going under the visa waiver program and is going to tick no to moral turpitude coz his arrests are drink driving and contreveing police orders. I've looked on lots of websites and drink driving is not considered moral turpitude so now we are quite confident we will have no dramas YAY Las vegas here we come!!!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa or visa waiver program for australians

did u read this about drink driving charges and the vwp?

…usembassy.gov/consular/visas/niv/vwp.html

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,807 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visa or visa waiver program for australians

""<<stupid bloody laws!>>""

Let him go lien. Obviously they have learned nothing in the last 9 years and it is time for lesson two.

10. Re: visa or visa waiver program for australians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 21, 2009