We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US air travel

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
US air travel

Hi there,

I'm going on my first ever trip overseas from Australia to the US next week and just had a few questions to ask.

First of all I just wanted to ask a question regarding how the airlines have listed my name. Assuming my name is John Smith for instance, the airlines have my name listed as exactly this ''SMITH johnmr''. Now shouldn't they have it listed as Mr John Smith? I know this is probably just the normal way the airlines list names, but just wanted to make sure this is the case as I know my name has to exactly match my passport.

Also, I am flying domestically within the US. My first flight within America, is from LA to Memphis. This flight then connects in Atlanta. I was just wondering how this works with my baggage? At Atlanta do I collect it from baggage collection and re-check it in for the Memphis flight, or will they do this for me?

Finally, since I'm from Australia and flying domestically within the US, do I just need to present my passport at check-in for identification, or is there anymore documents I need to provide?

Sorry if I seem a little clueless, it's just this is my first time travelling overseas so I'm not an experienced traveller.

Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US air travel

Jase,

Will answer your questions as best I can...

I don't think the name thing is an issue - I think that's just how they've got you listed.

For your flight from LA to Memphis - are you on the same airline into and out of Atlanta? If so, they will check your bags all the way through - you won't have to pick it up until you get to Memphis.

All you will need for the domestic flights is your passport - you should not need any other documentation.

Have a fantastic trip!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US air travel

My first flight within America, is from LA to Memphis. This flight then connects in Atlanta. I was just wondering how this works with my baggage? At Atlanta do I collect it from baggage collection and re-check it in for the Memphis flight, or will they do this for me?

If it is one ticket and the airlines have an interline agreement (despite what some might say here the majority of legacy carriers can interline luggage) then yes you should be able to check it at LAX and forget about it until Atlanta.

Presenting a passport for domestic US travel is perfectly acceptable. You'll need it at security too.

As for the name issue, presuming you booked online and put John in the first name box and Smith in the surname box you should be fine. On boarding passes it is always (at least in my experience) listed in 'Surname First name' format. This often goes for the email confirmations too.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US air travel

Oh, doncha just love flying into the American southeast? (They say if you die, your soul must connect through Atlanta.) Nothing like flying LA to Atlanta and then doubling back to Memphis.

Actually, you *should* be able to get Memphis tags on your bag in Oz. You must clear customs and claim your luggage in LA but there will be a connections conveyor for you to slap them back on.

I once flew from SF->Chicago->London->Cork City and checked my bags all the way through. When I checked them in SF the (very dumb-a-lina) girl said "oh, Cork, is that where cork comes from" ... I was afraid my bags would end up in Portugal but, no!, they were one of first out. Miracles do happen.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,832 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US air travel

Name thing should be fine.

United lists my name this way.. Smith, John QMr

Q being middle initial.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US air travel

u should also have a copy of your e ticket receipts (for all flights) as sometimes immigration want to see that when u r leaving the usa and they are handy to have if u need to discuss an aspect of your itinerary domestically. also have the credit card u paid for the flights with.

6. Re: US air travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 23, 2009