We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kidding. Anyway, just flew with them EWR-LHR and back and had usual Continental service. Outbound flight did not have ONE child on the whole plane, a little bit of heaven right there. Inbound, however, they decided to assign the exit row seats (there were 12 of them in the middle of economy on this plane) to a couple and their seven (yes SEVEN) children. All of these kids were under the age of 12. The remaining seats were assigned to a couple and their two toddlers and a very elderly couple who spoke no English. Apparently when all of these people talked to the check in staff, they were told the FA's would take care of it once they were on the plane. Oh yeah, it was chaos. Kudos to the FA who actually did it all with a smile and managed to get everyone situated despite kids screaming, adults screaming and people just wanting to depart already.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is my understanding that children are not allowed to sit in exit row seats because the people there must be able to assist the FAs if required.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,397 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats with all the strange, wierd posts lately?

Hard to tell if they are serious or not.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats with all the strange, wierd posts lately?

Something to do with spring in the air, the start of summer time, All fools day coming early or Care in the community being a failure?

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, yes, I know that children can't sit there, that's the POINT of my post. I was just making a comment on what a stupid thing the airline did, knowingly putting the children in those seats and then expecting the FA to just sort it all out minutes before take-off.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
496 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So they did move the kids? I'm curious because we are flying Continental again this summer and I want to get my 15 year old son an exit row seat. He's 6'6" and last year they told me last year that you have to be 16.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
496 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should proofread better!!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only are children not allowed in exit rows, adults traveling with children are not either. The theory being that if you are in the exit and your child is sitting behind you, you will be more likely to go grab your child instead of opening the door.

The passengers probably selected the seats themselves online. FAs don't mess around with that rule - I've seen many people removed from exit rows.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
496 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would think any family members/spouses would be inclined to help each other but you still have to get the door open first! Frankly, my son would be the one helping me. He's twice my size. He actually rescued a woman trapped in a car that was broadsided by a drunk driver. He was the only one strong enough to wrench open the door.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,945 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DMMM it does not matter what size he is its against FAA rules to have someone in th exit seat under 18 years old.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NEVER fly with Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good point, based on what I was hearing from the parents, they didn't choose the seats themselves at OLCI. Continental seemed to have assigned them. Odd, because when I did OLCI myself, it showed the exit row seats were all taken (totally full flight, not one empty seat.)

The real kicker was as soon as we realized what was going on, we told the FA we would gladly move into the exit row seats. She said that would be great and she would be right back. As the plane filled up, she proceeded to tell every person around us they HAD to move and they got the seats.