We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport queue jumping scam

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Airport queue jumping scam

…timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article5983565.ece

I know that this has already been reported here but reading about it in The Times again really got my goat.

What is really scurrillous about this is that they do not provide a fast track sercice - you pay your £3 and they take you to the head of the queue. Don't pay the £3 and you get pushed back by the queue jumpers. And the more incompetent the airport organisation, the greater the pressure to jump the queue, although if everybody pays for fast track nobody benfits (except the airport treasurer)

This is blackmail.

I wonder whether we can do anything to "discourage" this "service offering". I have not yet seen this in practice so don't know whether you pay at a desk or whether there is a coin operated gate which might find itself non-operational due to chewing gum. Or we could soak up the toll-collectors time by asking a whole string of questions -

- Do I pay a second time if I need to leave the queue to go to the bathroom?

- how many people are in the fast track line?

- how can you guys sleep at night?

I know its only £3 but it will grow if it proves to be too popular. I suppose there could come a point when the fast track queue is longer than th enormal queue so this could be self-correcting.

There must be some way in which we can protest. Unfortunately boycotting the "service" is unlikely to work because of the inveterate queue jumpers among us.

Any ideas?

(When we solve this one we can move on to deal with the "fast bag drop")

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Airport queue jumping scam

mfuwe i use manchester only when absolutely necessary. i f i can fly from liverpool i do. if we have bags to wait for we ring a member of the family as soon as we can switch on the phone, by the time the bags arrive, he's there waiting for us and we're at home in 20 mins! With no bags we wait about 5 mins for our lift.

it has never occurred to me to fly from blackpool

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
519 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Airport queue jumping scam

If EVERYBODY refused to pay it then it would surely collapse as it so rightly should.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Airport queue jumping scam

The trouble is, like everything else where money can by your personal way out of inconvenience, there will always be some self important smucks who will pay and then claim it on Exps.

In the meantime it will be interesting to see how it evolves. Lets see em push past a few angry non payers.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Airport queue jumping scam

I was at Heathrow yesterday and heard a few people talking about it. Apparently (not fact, just rumor) there will be more staff in the paying lines so even if there are more payers than not, the lines will still go faster.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Airport queue jumping scam

Like I said if it is only for the security search why bother? I cannot see Check In staff (paid by the airline)accepting the inevitable abuse they would get. Surely it would erode a "benefit" of Premium?

Manchester
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Airport queue jumping scam

Regarding Black£10ol's passenger charge, I never thought I'd be so glad to fly from Manchester. Well done, Black£10ol, you've managed to turn away someone who would have been a regular.

Train to Manchester airport, £3 return. Never beeing scammed for £10 from a tin-pot airport, priceless.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Airport queue jumping scam

howardfh,

Write and tell the silly woman who thought it up or she won't know.

Go on the website for her details.

Manchester
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Airport queue jumping scam

I did...and to my MP as well. No luck, so I'll just vote with my feet. The whole point of being British is to allow the government and business to screw you for every penny you've got, and then every penny you haven't got.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,330 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Airport queue jumping scam

> I did...and to my MP as well. No luck, so I'll just vote with my feet.

The problem is your MP is probably one of mfuwe's "self important smucks who will pay and then claim it on Exps."

How prophetic was that comment of yours mfuwe??

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Airport queue jumping scam

"How prophetic was that comment of yours mfuwe??"

Shrug!

To revert to BLA which I did fly to/from last week.

OK I divvied up the tenner even though I could not benefit from the free car parking. Using AVis. But my good friends at Manx2Com have come up with a way of sweetening the Pill. On check in you get free Premium Lounge access. I can work off the tenner that way.

Nice one Noel!