We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ripped off by Air Tran

illinois
7 posts
Save Topic
ripped off by Air Tran

In the greater scheme of things, this is not huge, BUT...

Air Tran charges extra to pre book a particular seat, $6pp a leg. I have flown them twice, and each time I paid extra for my husband and myself for a particular seat. Both times I was NOT given the seat for which I paid extra. I wanted the two on a side, and once, I got stuck in a middle between my husband, not a small guy, and a very large man.

Should I make an FAA complaint? AG complaint? I have written their customer service twice, asking for a refund of those monies, and I have never recieved a response. It's only a small amount of money, but it IS CONSUMER FRAUD.

illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: ripped off by Air Tran

I do believe that if you try to manage your seats with that option, you will get a message that you need to cough up some money. I have this vague recollection of trying to do that when a previously selected seat popped up with a blank space, and I had already paid. I certainly could understand that a plane might need to shift passengers because of weight loads etc., but simply giving away to another passenger a seat you booked and paid for is consumer fraud.

I could have not paid the money and then just tried to get something at the airport, but that would not have assured me the two on a side -- not that I got that, in the end, anyway. To fly Air Tran, I have to get up at 3 am -- so arriving early to get a decent seat is not in the cards for me, which is why I prepaid for a decent seat.

I am irritated enough by the situation, to not fly them again unless it is resolved. Given my locale, it only makes sense for me to use them and fly out of a closer airport if the lay over doesn't exceed 1 1/2 hrs, each way. They also have a stinky points system -- you lose them in a year.

When the problem first occurred, the fellow from Air Tran tried to tell me it was because there had been a flight change that I lost my seats -- but nothing but the time had changed, flying at 5:45 am instead of 6:00am, and it did not happen on all my seat selections, even though I had changes in the itinerary times something like 7 times before I left. Now, I wonder if a TA had booked a passenger in my seat, so I got bumped from it because I booked on line.

Finally, the Air Tran fellow made mention of the discounted fare -- I paid 424 pp for my flight from Ill to Fla; I don't consider that cheap, and besides, it has nothing to do with charging me for a seat that was given to someone else.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: ripped off by Air Tran

The issue here is that jaxon has been charged for a product that was not delivered. I don't know what the T&Cs on that purchase were. If reimbursement is allowed he should have been given it at the airport. Makes you wonder why the airline offers something that it doesn't seem to want to honour.

I have purchased 'preferred seats (exit row) with Singapore Airlines. Their refund policy is clear and simple - if I change my mind, cancel the flight or whatever I've done my dough. If THEY change something that causes me not to sit in the seat I paid for then they reimburse.

Goteed1
Level Contributor
379 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: ripped off by Air Tran

I flew Airtran for the first time this past Christmas from SFO to New Orleans. I had a plane change in Atlanta. A few weeks before the flight, they changed my connecting flight in Atlanta so I had a 5 hr layover. Annoying, but not a big deal, since I got in to Atlanta at 5am, so I wouldn't be losing a lot of time. HOWEVER, because of the long layover, the gate agents said I had to re-check my bags myself in Atlanta. So far not too good a start with them.

I did decide to upgrade to first class for only $30 when I checked in, so that kind of cancelled out my gripe. When I got to Atlanta to re-check my luggage, the gate agent took out a measuring tape and measured my bag and said it was too big and I would have to pay an extra $40, when I tried to explain to her that I had not been charged on the first leg, she said I could explain to security if I wanted.

Anyhow, as soon as I got home I wrote a letter to the President of the airline. Within a week of writing the letter, they had a Vice President call me and apologize for what happened, they refunded my $40 and started an inquiry into the agents treatment of me in Atlanta.

So overall, I'd probably give them another shot based on their handling of this situation.

illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: ripped off by Air Tran

After sending a snail mail to the vp of customer service, after two emails that went unanswered, I am happy to report that Air Tran did refund my money for the seats I did not get. They balked at one of the trips -- they were wrong about it -- but it wasn't the one that I had the big gripe about and they did refund the entire extra cost, not just on the leg where I was really uncomfortable, so I was pleased. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Oh, and they did say they would talk to their IT people to try to fix the glitch in their system which causes one to lose their seat choice when they so much as move a flight time by a couple of minutes. Your are back in my good graces, Air Tran. Here's hoping you fix the problem.

15. Re: ripped off by Air Tran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 07, 2009