We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too big to fly??

UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Too big to fly??

Hey guys, my best friend is a big girl (size 32uk) and has not been on holiday for over 5 years (we are 23) because she is scared she is too big to fit in a seat or get the seatbelt on.She has very low self esteem but is such a beautiful person I just wanted to get advice on weather she was right or if she is missing out on life as I have offered to take her to portugal for her bday in august but she is too worried and said no. When I went on holiday last year there were overweight people on my flight but its hard to tell if they were bigger or smaller than she is.

Any advice anyone could give would be great.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Too big to fly??

Even if one seat is too tight, it is possible to buy a second one and raise the armrest. They also have seatbelt extensions on board - I've needed one in the past. It is a bit embarrassing to ask for one, but still better than the alternative of never going anywhere.

Frederick
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too big to fly??

Hi, my wife flies a lot and used and extension and tries to get a window seat, it has more hip room. It is harder for her to fly on a smaller plane.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
261 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too big to fly??

A business class seat would certainly be bigger. She could also buy 2 economy seats just so she doesn't feel uncomfortable. I hope she goes with you. She is too young to not be traveling if she has the means. You are a great friend! I hope it works out.

minnesota
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Too big to fly??

First class seats are larger, but there are seat belt extenders and you / she can discreetly ask for one as she enters the a/craft and a flight attendent can provide one to her.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,836 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too big to fly??

I'm also fairly large, quite fat in fact and the seatbelts only just fit me. I've also had to use a seatbelt extenstion a couple of times. If I'm not mistaken size 32 uk would constitute around a 60 inch waist is that correct? I think your friend would really struggle to fit into one seat especially on a charter airline where even normal sized persons feel cramped. It can also be a long flight to Portugal, at least three hours. Buying two seats might be your only option.

You seem like a very nice person yourself by the way.

Have you considered not flying and taking the train to say the south of France or even Spain. There's a very nice night train from Paris to Barcelona. You can catch the Eurostar to Paris.

Flying is never the only option

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too big to fly??

A business class seat would certainly be bigger.

Within Europe the seat width difference between business and economy is negligible (no first class on intra-European flights). BA did have some seats with more width in Club Europe but did away with that in the last couple of months.

Milwaukee
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Too big to fly??

My parents are both larger people and they just buy three seats for the two of them and then they have just that little bit of extra room to make it better. Nobody is comfortable in the seat size these days, lots of people buy extra seats. Good luck. I hope she goes. She deserves to have fun and nobody will think anything of having an extra seat between you. Maybe it'll even raise her self esteem knowing she can travel.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too big to fly??

Hi Munt, no wishing to be unkind, but is your best friends weight a medical/genetic issue or too many cream cakes? The reason I ask, that if it is the latter, then it will be a goal for her to lose weight. Sometimes we need goals to achieve things and the thought of not fitting in the airline seat may be just the inspiration she needs!! I at the moment am trying to lose a stone or two and targets/goals do sharpen the mind!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too big to fly??

Don't take this the wrong way anyone...I just always wonder...do they attempt to balance out the plane when people are larger? Like, if there are a group of 10 large men on the left side of the plane, and 10 5 yr olds on the right side.......would the plane be ok? Maybe I'm underestimating the power of the plane and it's just fine in a situation like that. I just always wonder if they pay attention to things like that during check in and seat assignment.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too big to fly??

"I just always wonder...do they attempt to balance out the plane when people are larger? Like, if there are a group of 10 large men on the left side of the plane, and 10 5 yr olds on the right side.......would the plane be ok"

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,432689,00.html