We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

I have heard a rumor from two different NWA employees that Delta plans to take all the newer NWA A330 planes that are used for Europe and Hawai'i flights and use them all out of Atlanta (instead of Minneapolis and Detroit). Has anyone else heard similar things? The last thing I want is to have to fly the awful 757's to Hawai'i and Europe from Minneapolis.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

Some will move, some will not. There is a thread in the NW forum over at flyertalk that lists the changes that are being implemented. You will see some A330s replaced with 767s or 777s. Basically they will move the planes to routes where they make the most sense for capacity, range and efficiency.

Looks like MSP-AMS stays with A330s, MSP-CDG will be on a 767. Hawaii also keeps the A330.

flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/914…

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

Thanks for the info!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

I informed my flight attendant friend of this info and this was her reply:

"They continue to modify the plans weekly. Their ultimate goal is to move all the 330's to Atlanta and stick MSP with the older 767. The range is the same, but they want the newer planes in the South. That's why they merged--to create one "Great" airline. Rumor has it they want to fly the planes to South America out of Atlanta. It will continue to change along with the economy. They are flying to Rome and London out of Atanta right now on the A-330. They have a satellite base there for NWA flight attendants. As soon as they get NWA flight attendants trained on the 767, and DAL flight attendants trained on the 330 things will change for good I think. They are aiming to do that later in 2009. We'll see what happens in 2010 when they expect to have a single operating certificate."

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

No offense to your friend, but I'll take the collective knowledge of FT over a single flight attendant. I am sure the schedule is constantly changing and will continue to do so. 99% of the people who get on an airplane have no idea if they are on an A330, 767 or DC9, so moving them all to one hub would make no sense in terms of marketing. Delta now has a longhaul fleet consisting of A332, A333, B744, B763, B764, B772 and of course the dreaded TATL 752 (plus cabin variants of several of those). Each aircraft has its strengths and weaknesses on a particular route, so they should be moved to best utilize the equipment. I would also guess more shuffling will be possible once they are under one operating certificate. As I understand it, NW crews must fly the A330s and 747s until they merge operating certificates - that probably confuses crew bases if they want to move aircraft right now.

Having followed discussions over at FT, there is tons of paranoia about everything good from NW being stolen by DL, both by passengers and employees. This would be expected in any acquisition. I know the feeling, being unemployed as a result of a company merger (and collapse of the auto business) myself.

Baltimore, MD
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

Yes. I have already seen all of Northwest's aircraft painted in Delta livery.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,097 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

"Yes. I have already seen all of Northwest's aircraft painted in Delta livery."

Maybe "all the ones you've seen" have been painted, there are still a heck of a lot of NWA planes around with the NW livery on them.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

I see several planes w/ NWA livery @ SFO.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,599 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

All of the NW aircraft are being rotated through the paint shop to get the new DL paint scheme. All will get painted, well maybe not whatever ends up parked in the desert...

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

Well I guess we will have to wait and see how all this shakes out. There was an article in our paper this past week about the repainting of the planes. It said that it is ahead of schedule, and should be done by years end.

Thanks again for all the info.

West Sussex, Great...
Level Contributor
174 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are NWA A330 to all be moved to Delta's Atlanta flights?

so long as Delta keeps those minging 757s off the T/ATL routes I'll be happy. I flew a dusked B767-400 recently and it was equal to the A330 for comfort and IFE.