We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

Montreal
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

I will be travelling from Montreal(YUL) to LHR, on BA, then I will take a BA CodeShare flight opperated by Qantas to Bangkok.

I just checked my flight info on BA.com and it seems I have been given seat 70K. I looked up the Qantas 747 pax configuration and this economy row of seats is the first row of double seats near the rear of the 747 and there appears to be a space between the seat and the window.

Is this seat a blessing or a curse? Do I get any extra room to spread out with this seat? I also assume the lack of an outter wall will lead to an uncomfortable sleeping position...thoughts? And do I get my own window?

Any other info about the Qantas economy seats would be useful and if you do not consider this a good seat, does anyone have any other better seat choices?

Thanks,

DaleJr08.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

Have no experience, but this link may help a little, I hope.

seatguru.com/airlines/Qantas_Airways/Qantas_…

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

I always go for these seats in the back of a 747 when I can get them, because I like the extra room. If I have a bag that I'd normally put under the seat in front of me, I put it between the seat and the wall. It gives me a little bit more legroom. (Although I have to cover it with a blanket, or the flight attendant will harass me. I do put it under the seat for takeoff and landing.)

The downside is the wall is too far away to lean your head against, although I don't have a problem sleeping with my arm on the armrest, and my head propped up by my hand.

You get your own window, but you have to lean over if you want look down.

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

Have sat in this economy seat in the past,when i travelled alone.

I always felt it seemed a bit more roomy with the space between the seat & the cabin wall.

Montreal
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

Nzlilibet,

Thanks for the SeatGuru Jet configuration extras, good stuff.

Simba8, Tiffin,

Thanks for your input on my seat question, it seems I am leaning towards a blessing on this seat. The only real way to tell if this seat is a blessing or a curse will be once I am standing at the back of the jet waiting for everyone to get off the plane after landing.

DaleJr08.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

we often ask for these seats as u have extra leg room plus my hubby is 6.3 tall and he appreciates the extra room..They are the best seats in economy..apart from exit rows.

London, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

Trust me, this is a great seat!!! Last time I flew Qantas I was in it!!

You do get a window ...and there is a gap between your seat and the cabin wall of about 60cm ...handy for putting things!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

From reports here, Virgin now charge extra for these seats, which answers the question in general about if is a good one or not. The downsides are that, you cant lean against the window, and also its closer to the toilets so you can get queues there sometimes (though being in the window seat rather than the aisle that should be OK). So unless being unable to lean against the window is a real negative for you (and its not always practical at some other window seats anyway) I think you are in luck!

I cant recall the name of the company but I know a couple of people who swear by a pillow product for flying which clips onto your seat somehow and provides a long pillow on a belt against which you can lean. Might be worth googling for that.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

A or K are the seats I try for. With BA you have to up your bag in the overhead locker for takeoff/landing. Then I bring it down and put it alongside the seat. You get about 12 extra inches.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

I recently flew in this seat but on the opposite side of plane (70A). I loved it- I got extra legroom (Im 6ft) and when I wanted to doze off, I stacked my carry-on bag and three cushions up and could manage to find a comfy position. As others have said, you get your own window & its highly rated on seatguru.

Downsides are exiting the plane as you mentioned, and people tend to hang around the back, but this affects the last two rows more than yours. By memory I got my meal very quickly as they started from the back. I would definately book this seat again.

PP

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LHR-BKK Qantas 747- Seat 70K- Blessing or Curse?

Row 71... the second set of double seats is better as you have the space between the windo and row 70 ahead of you to stretch out your legs. You may have to be reminding the people in row 70 that that is actually your space though. Their space is on the floor under the seats ahead of them.