We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

I don't get it. An increase of about 300$ per person on a little 4 hr flight to Punta Cana from Montreal since yesterday. Why? I don't get it....did I miss something (besides the bargain!)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,709 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

Airlines are constantly adjusting fares. Today's "great price" can disappear in a matter of hours, which is why it's good to be ready to buy if you find a price you can live with.

Just to make it more frustrating, the price might (or might not!) come down again on the flight you're looking at.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

Most likely the cheap seats got sold and you ended up in a higher fare bucket. It could also be you lost a 7/14/21 day advance purchase window, depending on your travel dates.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

Thank you

Well I guess I will keep an eye out for the 21 day deal. I am assuming it is a deal if purchased 21 days prior to departure or in the week leading up to the 21st day of departure.

I guess I would be better off asking what exactly is 7/14/21 window...how long is the window open?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,483 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

It is either 7/14/21 days before date of departure flight.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

Well I guess I will keep an eye out for the 21 day deal.

There is no 'deal'. Cheaper fares have more restrictions, and one of these restrictions involves how far in advance you purchase the ticket. Even if the cheaper seats don't get sold they may well disappear when their advance purchase window hits.

A holiday destination like Punta Cana is going to fill up as you get nearer the date of travel and unlike business destinations you probably won't see cancellations that may open up cheaper seats.

Timing the purchase of airline tickets is not much difference to timing the stock market. If you see a price you like that makes sense then purchase it and don't look back.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

lesson learned. I would have lived with it at the price I saw it at. I saw another destination much cheaper than the one I was more interested in and figured, it could go down too. Guess not!

My ideal departure date is about 1 1/2 months away, do I still hold out for the 21 day window, or it is unlikely it will go back down again?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

No one can honestly answer that for you. Buy when you see a good price and then put it out of your mind.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

Well now I am in the fortunate position of having it in my mind til I find it again at a good price, so that I can buy it and then finally put it out of my mind!!!!

Thanks for all your help

9. Re: Why dramatic airfare increase since yesterday? Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, October 20, 2009