We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expedia

Buffalo, New York
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
expedia

Booking flights is easy on Expedia if you can do it on line without dealing with the Expedia customer service team. Using the 1-800 number is a challenge. Then when you get a live person, you will be put on hold, then again to if you asked any questions at all. During all this, you possibly may disconnected and when you call back, you never get the same person or department, so back on hold you go. Then if you do get to book, chances are there are mistakes on the ticket. It has happened to me the last two times that I had to call them. One mistake was simple, the other one ended up costing me $500. Plus a service fee for corrected their mistakes. E-mailling is worthless - you just get told that you must call the 1-800 and go back into the wonderous maze they call Customer Service.

I also feel that they run a BAIT & SWICTH game. The first screen list schedules & one prices, the second screen gives another price -usually higher.

User Beware

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: expedia

Just curious - why would you book an airfare through Expedia anyway? It can be a useful tool I guess to see prices, but then try going directly to the airline's webpage. I've never seen airfare cheaper on Expedia then booking directly with the airline.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: expedia

With respect to the fares shown, there isn't a bait and switch involved. Maddeningly, North American fares are shown without taxes and fees added, which is why you'll see notices in travel agents' windows and at online booking sites proclaiming 'fly from A to B for just $US150', with the words 'taxes and fees will be added at the time of purchase' written in mice type.

Depending on the routing, taxes and fees can add up to almost the equivalent cost of one sector of the flight, so one should be prepared for this before starting the booking process.

As well, given that a number of carriers offer the lowest fares possible at their websites / through phone bookings, why book an airline ticket with a third party? Booking directly with the airline removes any potential aggro of dealing with a third party in case anything goes wrong; as well, an online booking site merely acts as an agent for the airline - your contract of carriage is with VerriFast Airways, not with the online site.

Buffalo, New York
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expedia

Expedia states that all fees & taxes are included prices on the first screen that shows your choices. It also states that the prices does not include a fee for a paper tickets which only show up just before you confirm the flight. The second screen just states that prices have increased with no reason given. My question is if Expedia can update the second screen,why not reflect the true price on the first screen to be with.

I use Expedia to check prices on many airlines at the same, then check the airlines. Sometimes the price is better on sn sirline site, sometimes not. I find that if I have multi-city flight,the Expedia site is usally cheaper. I only book with Expedia when I can do it on line and not deal with Customer Service.

4. Re: expedia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 10, 2009