We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
19,002 posts
279 reviews
Save Topic
US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

US Airways Flight 1549 (AWE1549) has just crash landed into the Hudson River, New York. There were 146 passengers & 5 crew on board, current reports saying ALL got off alive. Great job by the pilots in getting it down safely in one piece. There is an amazing picture on the link below not long after the incident occurred...

alleyinsider.com/2009/1/u...-citizen-jourali…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

Good evening

Perfect ditching (no crash) operated by the pilot after losing both engines due to bird ingestion. Perfect location too near thge ferry terminal on the hudson river fir a quick evacuation of the passengers.

One more good reason to pay attention to those safety demos before any flight...

Glad to hear that everyone got out ok!

meherio

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

A water landing is one of the most dangerous emergency landings a pilot can make. Often the plane just breaks apart and the pilots are true heroes for being able to accomplish this landing with the plane all intact.

I am usually not a fan of US Airways, but the crew on board this flight should be applauded for doing the most important thing in the sky, KEEPING PEOPLE SAFE. 155 people could be dead today and I am really impressed they pulled the landing off so well.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

Good Morning

After receiving the information about the water Landing, i was fearing the worst with the images of the Boeing 767 doing a forced landing :

www.youtube.com/watch…

( or type on You Tube Boeing 767 water landing)

My first instinct getting on the flight is to :

A/ read the safety instruction card (especially for the door operation (as they used to say:<< Just in case...>>).

B/ Count how many rows of seats from the doorS

(fore and aft of my seat)

C/ Check that the life vest is inded where it is supposed to be (and not taken by a previous passenger for their sunday boat trip or aviation collection).

And finally hope to get a crew as experienced as what we saw yesterday.

I would be surprised to see that there could be a salvage of the aircraft. Could there be in the cards an additional display at the Intrepid museum on that European built aircraft display ?(namely the concorde).

meherio

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

Good afternoon

A quick note about the location of the ditching of the aircraft near the very same spot where the Cruise Liner "Normandie" Caught fire in the 1940's, partly sank then being towed down the river. Now the airbus at the same spot also ... strange concidences

Thinking also for a second that should the aircraft had more momentum, speed, or loss of control at the end, we could have lost 2 aircrafts with the Concorde on the Barge by the intrepid Museum been right there.

Food for thoughts

meherio

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

God I'm sick of hearing about this. It's all that's been on American television for 24 hours. The local NBC station just ran a story where they reviewed the story for the millionth time, only this time they added dramatic music to the report.

If this would have happened in St. Louis rather than New York, the story would be over by now.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

Well, it was a slow news day, Simba.

The only other thing of note happening was Bush's final address to the nation and the ditching turned out to be far more interesting.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

Bush leaving, and everyone on the plane surviving. I guess you could say it was a happy news day.

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

Hi S/8,

Re the Pilots great feat and the passengers who

ALL survived= A great success.

Trans-PLANT-ation= another great success. NWF..

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
19,002 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

It would appear that the birds which brought down AWE1549 were pigeons. Someone who lived near to where the initial incident occurred found parts of 'pigeons' in their yard.

Link below has pictures...

…photobucket.com/albums/…

10. Re: US Airways Flight 1549 Down In Hudson River!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 15, 2009