We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student Planning School Trip

Tennesee
7 posts
Save Topic
Student Planning School Trip

I am a high school student from semi-rural Tennessee, and I am taking a trip this June along with two others, (from the 22-30) to go to FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) National Convention in Anaheim, Ca. I have been searching for flights out of Knoxville (TYS), but the average price from most of the air travel sites is about 350USD before tax. Does anyone have any advice on buying tickets? I am flying in and out on a Tuesday to save money,and one of my only limitations realy are that leave a day before or after the 22 of june, and I must fly out of Knoxville(TYS) or Chattanooga (CHA) When is the best time to buy right now, especially with the economy on the decline, and what about bidding on tickets? Is it advised, does it really save that much? Could I get some sort of student discount?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Student Planning School Trip

$350 sounds like a steal. Buy now. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,915 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Student Planning School Trip

Check out STA Travel - that group gives student discounts. Flying into S. California you have several alternate airports/great flexibility in getting a good fare. The closest airport to Anaheim is Orange County/SNA, but you could also use LAX, LGB, BUR and ONT (all just within 1.5 hours of your destination).

I would also check airfarewatchdog.com - see if you can find listings for both TYS and CHA. Good Luck. If all looks too expensive, also check out flights from Atlanta - this huge airport often has the best deals in your area (it has the most flights).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Student Planning School Trip

Ah, but speedbird, the $US350 fare is before taxes and fees are added - drat.

I think, jeremy, that you may have more choices flying from CHA than from TYS. If you're willing to make a connecting flight, consider AA from CHA to BUR (Burbank) with a change at DFW (Dallas Fort Worth). You'll need to change terminal buildings at DFW, but your bags will be checked through to BUR, so it will be a matter of getting from point to point in good time.

The fare is $US380 all inclusive; if you'd like to consider this fare, tell a travel agent you'd like to book the flight in booking class S for all four sectors. This flight does have a departure time of 0649 from BUR, which may not appeal, so do keep that in mind.

For $US385 all inclusive, you can fly CHA to BUR again with a change at DFW. The return flight departs from ONT (Ontario) and requires a change at DFW. The connection time, however, is exceptionally tight, just 40 minutes. The flight from ONT departs at 0750, but a later departure could mean missing the flight to CHA. You must decide whether or not it's a risk you'd like to take.

Will the FBLA provide ground transportation once in Los Angeles, or do you and your companions need to book a car service from the airport to your hotel?

Tennesee
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Student Planning School Trip

I have family friends that will be able to bring me to my hotel that will be close enough to the convention center to take the bus, or a few miles in a cab. The 385 sounds.... decent, and I will pay it if I have to, but im mainly concerned with getting the best price. I have noticed that from the end of January till late May, the ticket price is 250USD, and then in late may the price jumps to like 370 USD, and it maintains the same price till the end of December, which would indicate that the price would not be due to booking. Is it possible that if I was to wait a few weeks that the price will drop down to 250? Oh, and yes, I am willing fly out of CHA, and make a connection flight.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Student Planning School Trip

April and May have historically been known as shoulder season in travel parlance; September and October have been shoulder travel times as well.

But with more and more people flying the seasons are blurred a bit. Summer flights have in the past shown some of the highest fares on offer as that's when most families have travelled. Things have changed a bit, but summer fares right now are still showing as more or less as high as the market will bear.

There have been sales in the past for domestic flights and there may be sales to come - but there are no guarantees of when and for how long the reduced fares will be offered.

If there are one or two airlines with which you'd prefer to fly, keep a close watch on their webpages, as sales do pop up quickly. Please do ensure that you leave plenty of time to make a connection if you have to, as you'll need to allow for your bags to get from plane to plane as well as you.

Tennesee
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Student Planning School Trip

Im just wondering, what could make the price jump from 257, to 362 in a single day, and make it maintain that price for 6 more months, unless you are suggesting that the cheaper price for may was just a sell.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Student Planning School Trip

Air fares can change more than once within the space of 24hours. Airlines have teams of yield managers who study passenger loads and asssess what the market will bear, including such parameters as staff pay, cost of aviation fuel (whether hedged or not), time of year of travel - those who wish to fly during March break will pay more than those travelling in January, I suspect - operating costs and a whole host of other unknowns.

Revenue managers crunch numbers like mad to find fares that the public will pay but will also allow an airline to make a profit for its shareholders and pay a bill here and there.

Before deregulation - a long time ago - air fares were more or less the same across the board. If one wished to fly from LAX to JFK with National, TWA, Braniff or Eastern Airlines (NB none of these airlines exist today) then the fare would have been the same, plus or minus about $US10.

But now? Deregulation has opened the doors to low cost carriers and air fares cut to the bone; I don't think many airlines make much profit from those flying in deeply discounted Economy seats. A choice of fares does allow pax to choose the airline and class of service in which to fly, but the less wonderful thing that's happened has been that in flight service is no longer what it used to be, except in some premium cabins and classes of service. The phrase 'race to the bottom' is heard far too often about some carriers, some of which have a long and worthy history.

There's a lot more to an airline ticket than just buy and fly.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Student Planning School Trip

Fares can change really easily; you should book now. Try booking to airports like John Wayne/Orange County, Ontario, Burbank, Long Beach, et cetera, as the different airports charge different fees for the airline which can reduce or raise costs for them. Like jetBlue- a ticket from San Diego to the east coast will cost 50-100 less compared to one in Long Beach.

Look for sales and think about when people will be less likely to be online buying things, as that is probably when the rates will be lower. Reminds me of this. When driving on the freeway to Las Vegas, a gas station had the digital signs, and as the sun was rising, in just a few seconds the rate went up about 20 cents which is quite the increase for such a close timeframe.

Tennesee
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Student Planning School Trip

Thanks for the advice, I will buy ASAP.

10. Re: Student Planning School Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, October 15, 2009