We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
719 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
US Airways

Hi

We are flying from Manchester u.k to Philidelphia on us airways just wondered if anyone could comment on the service inflight ent food and drinks etc, also are the soft drinks and tea and coffee free of charge

When we land at PHI we then have an hour and twenty minutes to get through customs and catch our connecting flight to Vegas do you think that this is a realistic amount of time to do this?

Thanks

torquay
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Airways

We have flown U.S Airways and found them to be very good ,the food was o.k ,there was on demand seatback tvs and complimentary soft drinks and tea and coffee.From what i remember the headphones were complimentary too.Philly is easily negotiated and you will have enough time to get to your next flight to Vegas,however you will have to pick you luggage up at Philly and take it to the connecting flight baggage drop ,you will not have to do this on the way back.Have a lovely time ,by the way we will be in Vegas again in April,our 5th time We love it ,Cheers Rich

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Airways

Hi

I have not flown into PHI but I have flown into other US airports and from my experience you will not make the connection. Imergration, collecting bags, going through customs, dropping bags back off and then getting to your next gate can take along time. The first time this happened to us, it was no real problem, we were just put on the next flight out, also to LAS, so we were delayed about 4 hours in total. We now make sure we have at least 2 hours between flights on the way into the USA, on return home, it is not a problem as your bags should be ticketed straight through and all you have to do is get yourselves to the next gate.

Clive

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,938 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Airways

On intl flights, there is no charge for drinks on US Airways. Assuming you will be flying them on the domestic leg as well, drinks are $1 to $2 each for that segment, cash only.

Service on USAir is average, generally, not bad, not great. They get you where you are going, on time more often than not. I'm not sure what they are serving on the UK run right now.

As far as connecting time, um.. You'll be cutting it close. The issue is you have to claim and re-check luggage at customs, it will not be checked through. There's no problem with that, there is a drop desk right after customs, but the time waiting for offload will cut down your margin. I'm also pretty sure you will have to re-clear security (PHL is my home airport, I arrive there all the time but never transit via there).

It also depends on what terminal you arrive at and what terminal you leave from, as USAir uses terminals A(intl arrivals usually here), B and C (mostly domestic). All the terminals are connected.

If you can get more time, I'd suggest it. I never allow less than 2.5 hours for an intl connection. On the flip side, even with the reduced capacity now, there are lots of flights PHL to Vegas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Airways

This might be a useful read from last year. It isn't mine though...appears headsets are $5. I suggest bringing your own, they look horrible.

airliners.net/aviation-forums/…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Airways

I have not flown into PHI but I have flown into other US airports and from my experience you will not make the connection. Imergration, collecting bags, going through customs, dropping bags back off and then getting to your next gate can take along time

Depends on the airport you fly into and the time of day. At some airports I've arrived at 1hr would have been plenty of time to do an international connection, even with immigration, baggage reclaim, customs then security once more.

In my eyes PHL is one of the quicker airports for international arrivals, but the international concourse (which handles intl arrivals) is at one end of the airport and your LAS flight could depart from Terminal B or C. You can walk between them airside...

At 1hr 20mins you're relying on speedy baggage delivery and PHL isn't known for it's efficient bag handling (well quite the opposite really). At least you are at a US hub and so there is bound to be another flight to LAS before the day is out. Alternatively look up flights on other Star Alliance partners as a backup, you'd probably end up on United via Chicago or Denver if this were the case.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
719 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Airways

Thanks to everyone who has replied the information you gave is really useful just hope that they are quick with the bags once in Philly!!

torquay
Level Contributor
241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Airways

You will make it ,no problem.

Worcester, UK
Level Contributor
159 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Airways

We found the timings really tight when we did MAN/PHI/TPA about 18 months ago.

Unfortunately I can't remmember how much time we had, but the problem for us was the security check.

Immigration and baggage reclaim/redrop was a breeze, but it took us over an hour to get through security. We had to run to the gate.

Hopefully it's improved since then!

9. Re: US Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:30 am, September 10, 2009