We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best seat?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
The best seat?

Anyone any ideas about which could be the best seat for a disabled person. Or indeed a seat which not to take? Derek can walk a few metres on a quad stick?Possibly near toilet? Leg room? Have looked at seatguru but cannot decide. Am hoping to upgrade but will not know until check-in whether this is possible. Have rung the airline and told them of the disabilty.

If anyone has travelled either disabled or with someone disabled maybe you can tell where you sat? Wsa it any good?

Any advice gratefully received.

Julie

Wellington
Level Contributor
350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best seat?

I don't know anything about travelling with a disability, but to get a better response from those who might, perhaps post the info about what airline and aircraft type it will be, if you know.

I'd imagine close to the loo, and the highest class that $ will allow would be the way to go. Maybe a bulkhead in front so that there is nobody ahead to recline into your space.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best seat?

Thanks for that. Virgin 747 config2

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
597 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best seat?

If you are flying Economy, I would suggest the front of the cabin, rows 21-23. Semi-private, good service, close to a lavatory and the entrance of the aircraft. Maybe pay a little extra for a bulkhead assignment in row 24. At the very least, I would strongly suggest an aisle seat - moving in between the seats can be quite difficult.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,184 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best seat?

You should also check with Virgin. I am sure they can provide special assistance and give you an idea of what seats are best.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The best seat?

Many airlines have seats that can be pre-reserved for passengers with disabilities - contact the airline direct and explain your situation and I am sure Virgin will help

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best seat?

Thanks for your replies. Have made a note of the seat numbers mentioned. Had already rung the airline and they were indeed quite helpful but they would not give me specific seat numbers at that time. We will see on the day.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best seat?

Check the seat plans on the Virgin website. Most airlines do seat maps which indicate which seats are suitable for people with disabilities.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best seat?

Just a quick update. Virgin placed us in row 21. Derek was given the aisle seat. It is indeed a good seat for a disabled person, with that little bit of extra leg room. Was treated very well with Virgin, would definately fly with them again. Thanks once again, you were all spot on with your advice.

Wellington
Level Contributor
350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best seat?

That is very cool. Real glad you were well treated. Good to hear.

10. Re: The best seat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, August 26, 2009