We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

About three years ago my daughter met online a nice young guy, he has since visited us in Australia and intends emigrating.

Meanwhile my daughter wants to go and see him at Christmas, but because of her father's failing health I can't take her.

Do you think it would be embarrassing if I offered to pay for her boyfriend to come to Australia for a couple of weeks.

Also do you have to be over 18 to travel internationally?

Many thanks.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

HI

sounds like a great Christmass gift if you have the extra money.

but your post sent up some red flags.

is your daughter under 18 ? whats age of boy ?

what country?

she met this nice young guy on internet when she was under age.

I think you set the precedent of being an enabler and then will have to take care of this spoiled young couple.

why can't he afford to come on his own?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

No - if he really likes your daughter, he'll find a way to get there.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

Easy answer first: unaccompanied minors travel every day; airlines have rules in place to ensure the safety and security of younger people travelling on their own.

The rest of it - it's a very risky proposition in either case. Should you and your daughter fly to another city and country to visit someone you've met once? Should you spend money for this person to visit you? The first response to both is a resounding no, especially if your daughter is 18 or slightly younger.

If the 'nice young man' intends to emigrate to Australia, then patience will have to be the order of the day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

I will wait to see the result on "Border Security".

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

Go for it Ozy, he's coming to your Country, it's not like you're sending your Daughter to see him alone.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,172 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

No way. If he is keen enough he will make his own way there. After all who will fund his eventual immigration if he cannot afford to fly there?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

Sorry, ozyknitter, but I think you've got more money than sense, as my mother used to say. My neighbour's son was 'conversing' with a young female from Belgium; she unexpectedly came here, one-way ticket, no money, moved in with them, pays nothing, costs them a fortune, has lied to Immigration to extend her visa and now they're stuck with her .... keep your money in the bank. When he gets permission to migrate, let him do it on his own merits.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,391 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

I normally only get my daughter a bottle of perfume and a scarf or something for Christmas. I never thought of getting her a boy. Maybe she would appreciate that more :-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,172 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

Jeez. Fancy coming down and finding that on Christmas morning. Gives a whole new meaning to "Toy boy".

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you think this is an appropriate Christmas gift?

I only used to get a Jackie annual and a satsuma.