We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline sales??

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Airline sales??

We're waiting to book business class flights to Australia from London for next July/Sept & wondered if there's any chance that tickets will come on sale in the new year at discounted rates?

We usually book way ahead but this year nothing is coming up less than £3000pp.

Anyone in the business to give us an insight into what might happen?

Thanks all.

Australia
Level Contributor
170 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline sales??

Qantas recently had a 2 for 1 sale

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k2365226…

There is much talk in this link whch suggests that it may happen again. Suggest you register for newletters from them.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,163 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline sales??

Summer is the worst possible time for sales - far too much demand.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline sales??

Summer is the worst possible time for sales - far too much demand.

To Australia which is in the depths of winter?

Either way traditionally business travel is at a low during the summer, probably even more so in '09 due to the economy, so premium cabins are usually discounted in sales.

You've got plenty of time to sort these tickets out. BA currently have a fare sale on Club World fares and Sydney is listed at £2959 return but only until the end of January.

If you've got some BA miles they currently have a 50% sale on all redemption tickets. You can get tickets to Sydney for 100,000 miles in CW instead of the usual 200,000, and First is 150k instead of 300k.

In my experience Business/First fares are less susceptible to price changes until you get within 6 weeks of travel. You've got plenty of options and time to hold out until another sale of some kind, particularly if you are flexible with dates.

Pity you missed out on the Qantas 2 for 1 sale. First fares to Sydney ended up pricing out at £2700 per person.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline sales??

If you're an American Express Platinum cardholder (available in UK??? It is worldwide though), there is something called a international airline program where you get 2 for 1 tickets for business or first class. Although they will charge what the online travel agencies charge (usually slightly higher or the same to the airlines), you get 2 tickets. Only problem is that you won't get frequent flyer miles if that matters to you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline sales??

If you're an American Express Platinum cardholder (available in UK??? It is worldwide though), there is something called a international airline program where you get 2 for 1 tickets for business or first class. Although they will charge what the online travel agencies charge (usually slightly higher or the same to the airlines), you get 2 tickets.

The IAP is rubbish for leisure travellers, as you need to buy fully flexible tickets which are more often than not more than double or triple the price of inflexible tickets.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline sales??

Thanks everyone, all very helpful & interesting. I hope the Qantas 2 for 1 come up again & we'll jump in asap.

I am registered with them along with most of the other carriers so hopefully a deal will surface in the coming months.

With BA I only have approx 10.000 miles not enough to get me to the end of the runway methinks!!

Carole.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,585 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline sales??

You could try Cathay Pacific at £2,800 through Ebookers.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline sales??

I checked with Ebookers and all that's coming up for our dates are China Eastern at a couple of ££s under £3k and Qantas at way over £3K.

So I guess it's a waiting game & hoping the offers appear some time soon.

9. Re: Airline sales??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, October 14, 2009