We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

Exeter
14 posts
Save Topic
Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

Help !!

I have booked a return flight from Heathrow to Vegas with a stop in Detroit each way. Going out, the wait at Detroit is only 3 hours...no problem. Coming back, we leave Vegas at 22.35 arrive at Detroit at 05.20 (4h 14m flight) but our flight out of Detroit back to Heathrow doesn't leave until 17.50 !! That's just over 12 hours to kill after arriving in Detroit at what is effectively 5.00am. We'll arrive at Detroit shatterred having had next to no sleep on the plane only to face this 12 hour wait. What's worse is that my daughter is travelling with me and she is only 11 !! What to do?? Does anyone have any experience of day stopovers like this? Do hotels/motels have day rates? or....does Detroit have comfy seats or recliners where we can crash?

TIA

Mark

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,913 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

I guess my immediate question is "why did you book such a horrible connection"???

I would contact a hotel and get a room, day rate or not. I can't imagine 12 hours in an airport with an 11-year old...and then getting on another 8-9 hour flight on top of that!

There is a hotel attached to one of the terminals, you're not likely to find any bargains there. But if you look on the airport website or post on the Detroit Michigan forum I'm sure you'll get some advice on what's around there via a shuttle bus trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

There are plenty of inexpensive Holiday Inn/Comfort Inn type lodgings available surrounding Detroit's airport (which is, by the way, one of the most antiquated airports I've been in!). Since you arrive at the airport at 5:20am, I'm not sure what a hotel/motel will be able to do for you in terms of check-in/out, but it couldn't hurt to contact some of them, explain the situation, and then weigh your options!

Good luck!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

DTW doesn't have a number of hotels very close, as LHR does. But you could contact those which are nearby to enquire about day rooms; some may offer 12 hour rates, say from 0600 - 1800 which would suit you as well.

The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport Hotel seems to be the only one on site - no, hang on, there's also the Hilton Garden Inn; nearby are the Metropolitan Hotel, the Embassy Suites Detroit Metro Airport and a Days Inn - Detroit Metro Airport. As well, check out the Courtyard Detroit Metro Airport property in Romulus.

www.sleepinginairports.net has mixed reviews about DTW, with the latest review from 2007. With an 11 year old, though, I think I'd go for an inexpensive room rather than kip in the terminal building.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,699 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

DTW is my home airport and the Northwest terminal, while nice, is not somewhere I would want to spend 12 hours - even with a Worldclub membership. There is not much in the way of comfy seats outside the Worldclubs - other than a few around the fountain at the center of the A concourse. You can buy a day pass for $45 per person which includes free snacks, soft drinks, and alcohol (except for the 11 year old).

Check out the Michigan - Detroit forum and there are some ideas of what to do to spend some time in Detroit on a long layover. The Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village is not far from the airport and might be a nice experience. Unfortunately Detroit is horrible for public transportation, so getting away from the airport means either a rental car (nice to store your carry on bags) or expensive taxi.

Staying another night in Vegas could be an option, but NW will probably hit you with a $200 change fee per ticket to rebook a day later - so it is an expensive option.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,699 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

For hotels, the Westin is the only one attached to the airport. All the major chains are represented within a couple miles via free shuttle ride.

Exeter
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

"I guess my immediate question is "why did you book such a horrible connection"???"

Because I got the return flight for $443 and paid for it when the exchange rate was up at $2 = £1. That is a about half the price I would normally expect to pay for a flight from the UK to Vegas.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

> Because I got the return flight for $443

And for a flight that cheap you have to expect some inconvenience. A shorter connection would probably have cost a lot more. But even paying for a hotel room for 12 hours you will have saved lots of money, so look at it that way.

Exeter
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

Thanks for all your very detailed and helpful replies. I've put an enquiry in to the Days Inn about a day rate, and even if I have to take a room with 2 queens for 2 days, it's only going to cost me $150 inclusive of taxes. I say 'only' the GB pound is dropping like a lead balloon against the dollar at the moment...but hey ho !

Mark

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
617 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

Westin Hotel is right in the NWA concourse and has day rooms. You need to contact them directly. Can't book on the website for a day room

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waiting in Detroit ... Help !!

"Does anyone have any experience of day stopovers like this? Do hotels/motels have day rates?"

I had exactly the same thing coming back into LAX a few weeks back. We stayed at the Hilton LAX Airport, their day rate was $99. Check in 9am (but will check you in earlier if rooms free) checkout was 6pm or so.