We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I have enough time??

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Will I have enough time??

Planning a trip for next year & my flight from London arrives at Atlanta at 19.15. My next flight to Sarasota departs at 21.15. Will 2 hours be enough time to clear customs, retrieve one bag & check in for Sarasota flight?

Also how long will it take to get from International Arrivals to Domestic Departures?

Thanks everyone.

Carole.

PS. These are two separate flights, first one with BA, 2nd one with Delta.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I have enough time??

Plenty. Atlanta is a big airport, but it's extremely well laid out. The terminals all run off a central spine. Once you have cleared formalities at the international terminal, there is a shuttle train that will whisk you along the spine until you reach the arm you need, and then you walk to your gate. Delta should be concourse B or C.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I have enough time??

you should be fine with 2 hours. Just make sure you get both boarding passes in London and your bag is checked thru to Sarasota. You'll get the bag and go thru customs in Atlanta and recheck the bag right there at customs. You probably know this, but I'm amazed how often people dont....

and, since you say "next year" Delta will probably change your flight times several times anyway!

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
614 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I have enough time??

You will have enough time--but delta will change your flights at least 2-4 more times, and not notify you, so keep a look out for a shrinking connection time

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I have enough time??

Thanks for the answers. Just one thing I should point out I'm booking the flights separately, not on the same websites.

I'm working from BA & Delta websites, so the bags won't be checked right through to Sarasota, I'll have to retrieve them at Atlanta.

I usually do this trip on Delta right through to Sarasota but this time the flight times are better on BA for me.

So I guess I'll have to re-check in or not????

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I have enough time??

I'm pretty sure booking on web sites has nothing to do with whether the airline can issue both boarding passes.... As long as they have a ticketing agreement, they should be able to issue boarding passes for both in London and your bag can be checked through. The airlines dont have to be in the same alliance to have a ticketing agreement.

Check with BA to be 100% sure.

My parents live on a tiny island off St Maarten. They will often buy the ticket for the puddle jumper from St Maarten down there because locals get a much better price and mail it to me. When I check in at Continental in Newark, they can check my bag all the way through because they have a ticketing agreement with the small local airline. American doesnt and you have to get your bag and recheck.... Worth checking before you assume and run around for nothing!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I have enough time??

I don't think Delta in London will be able to give you a boarding pass for a BA flight from ATL to SRQ. They aren't part of the same alliance. You may have to check in with BA upon arrival in Atlanta.

As an arriving passenger you'll have to clear security again there also.

Sounds like it's a moot point since you've already booked (?) but I wouldn't want to do this on a 2-hour connection. If you're delayed with Delta for some reason, BA doesn't have to "cover you" on a flight to Sarasota, they can just put you down as a no show. You're at their mercy if something delays your flight from the UK or if you get stuck in Immigration/Customs.

Sorry for the length, but you also want to check with BA as to minimum check-in times...if you "do" have to check-in in Atlanta and show up 30 minutes before your flight, will they let you check in?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will I have enough time??

Sorry I reversed the "BA" and "Delta" scenarios in my previous response...I don't think BA in London will be able to give you a Delta boarding pass...

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will I have enough time??

I haven't booked the flights yet because I was unsure about the 2 hour period between flights.

I guessed that I'd have to clear customs in the US & retrieve my bag before checking in for the Sarasota flight.

It's all a bit complicated by the sounds of it. Maybe I'll review the options again?

I liked this option because BA have a mid- afternoon flight & Delta don't. Also going BA & Delta as opposed to all Delta, I'm saving a couple of hundred £££s per ticket. Quite a difference but I can see it won't be such a great deal if I don't make the connection on time.

Guess it's back to the drawing board on this one.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will I have enough time??

To be honest, even if your bags were checked through I think 2 hours isn't enough. I connect through Atlanta a lot and frequently wait 45 mins + for bags to arrive. I always leave 3 hours between connections in ATL and that's having cleared immigration in Dublin.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will I have enough time??

Thanks again everyone who replied.

Just one other question, is there any other Airline that flies from Atlanta to Sarasota direct?