We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct/Indirect flights using miles

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Direct/Indirect flights using miles

Can anyone tell me please---if I wish to fly from London to USA with a Star Alliance carrier using Diamond Club miles,will it cost more miles than stated if it involves a plane change in US or Canada?

I want to keep my options open and not hold out for a direct route but need to know I have enough miles.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct/Indirect flights using miles

No extra miles needed, you can even include a stopover in each direction if you wish when using a Diamond Club redemption at no extra cost.

Even more reason to lament the likely demise of Diamond Club when we get assimilated with Lufthansa Miles & Less*.

*Speculation but most likely to occur!

toronto
Level Contributor
113 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Direct/Indirect flights using miles

Hi Mummygaot

We have never flown direct to our final destination using reward miles. In fact you may even be entittled to have a stop over along the way to your final destination without having to use extra reward miles.

We have flown:

- Toronto to San Diego with a 6 day stop in Phoenix along the way (and all our flights were via Dallas)

- Toronto - Fort Laurderdale with a couple of days in New York on the way back

- Toronto - Venice with a 4 day stay over in Paris.

When it comes to redemtion of award miles I prefer booking directly with the airline over the phone, even though it costs an extra $20 or $30. This way you have more choices and the agent has more flexibility than the web-sites. You can also call to check availability and options.

Also book early as award seats disappear fast, booking opens 330 days before the date required.

Finally, in my opinion, if there are no direct seats available now for the dates you want it is because they have already been booked and it is doubtful that there will be any more made available.

Good Luck.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct/Indirect flights using miles

Thanks Speedbird,that's good to know.We are hopng to get J class redemptions to either LAX or SFO.There are many different possibilities including Air Canada via Toronto or Vancouver.Don't mind going out in United Business but if using them for the return would try for First.

I was just looking in the BMI Diamond Club Guide when I noticed on the redempton chart page it said "miles required for direct flights only" and it made me wonder.

So,does that mean if we decide to get rid of my dear husbands miles later, on a couple of First class trips somewhere,we can fly into a European hub like Zurich or Frankfurt to pick up a long haul,for no extra cost?

We are thinking we may try to use these miles up and stick to his BA account for the moment until we know exactly what the score is regarding the new owners.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Direct/Indirect flights using miles

Oh, I didn't realise that we could break the journey.That would be really useful if we went with Air Canada and could spend a couple of nights with relations near Toronto.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Direct/Indirect flights using miles

So,does that mean if we decide to get rid of my dear husbands miles later, on a couple of First class trips somewhere,we can fly into a European hub like Zurich or Frankfurt to pick up a long haul,for no extra cost?

I believe going via Frankfurt or Zurich or some such will cost you extra miles under this rule:

"All connecting flights for journeys where the final destination is within zone 1 or zone 2 will be charged at 7500 miles"

flybmi.com/bmi/src/html/diamondclubhowtospen…

I'm still sitting on a large pile of BMI miles trying to figure out what to do with them before the inevitability of Miles and More and demise of Cash & Miles.

6. Re: Direct/Indirect flights using miles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:27 am, October 13, 2009