We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayak doesn't show ALL ticket prices so check airline sites

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
70,934 posts
73 reviews
141 helpful votes
Kayak doesn't show ALL ticket prices so check airline sites

Just a tip from my recent experience.

I used Kayak to check prices for a ticket from San Diego to Rome in Feb.

It showed some great prices on Cheap Tickets and I think Expedia with Delta being about $300 more for the same flight.

I always check the Delta web site before I buy because sometimes they have flights with different times etc.

THIS time, to my surprise, the Delta web site ALSO showed the same inexpensive tix that Kayak only showed for the discounters.

Soooo I ended up buying on the Delta site and it was only $722inc. tax.

Kayak is good to find out who flies where but for pricing check the airline web sites before you buy.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
72 reviews
108 helpful votes
1. Re: Kayak doesn't show ALL ticket prices so check airline sites

Actually, I would check every site you have time to check. I like Kayak because I can save searches, get fare alerts, be shown the fares from different sites for the same flight etc. etc., plus it's relatively easy to navigate.

But yes, good advice, once you can see what the options are, check the various airline sites before you book anything.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
36 helpful votes
2. Re: Kayak doesn't show ALL ticket prices so check airline sites

American Airlines no longer has a contract with Kayak.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
26,444 posts
380 reviews
1,182 helpful votes
3. Re: Kayak doesn't show ALL ticket prices so check airline sites

"American Airlines no longer has a contract with Kayak"

I've just put a search in for MAN-LAX and one of the flights returned was MAN-ORD-LAX (AA55-AA557) so it appears that AA are still showing in Kayak searches...

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
72 reviews
108 helpful votes
4. Re: Kayak doesn't show ALL ticket prices so check airline sites

Yes, there was a problem with integration for a while (and people were advised that AA wouldn't show up in searches) but it has been fixed now.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
92 reviews
66 helpful votes
5. Re: Kayak doesn't show ALL ticket prices so check airline sites

I noticed that the airline websites may have better departure times available than what's shown on the Kayak website, so don't be that fast to 'pull the trigger'.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
72 reviews
108 helpful votes
6. Re: Kayak doesn't show ALL ticket prices so check airline sites

> so don't be that fast to 'pull the trigger'.

A point to make about Kayak - it's not a booking engine, it's a search engine, so you don't "pull the trigger there". It takes you to the site of your choice, be that the airline or an online agency.

Kayak in my experience does show all the options. It's just that they may be "buried". Different timings can be at different prices, so if another option is mores expensive than the first airlines cheapest price, but cheaper than its next higher price, it will appear in between, pushing the higher priced options onto later pages. So it looks like all options aren't displayed.

You can get around that by opting to see only a given airline's flights. There is a new option that let's you look at departure times first, then return, so you can more easily mix and match.

7. Re: Kayak doesn't show ALL ticket prices so check airline sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 pm, October 12, 2009