We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Award travel miles and inheritance

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Award travel miles and inheritance

Sounds a little bizarre !! Sorry for that.

Would anyone know what happens to a persons accumulated miles upon their death. Would their next of kin get them, such as a wife if the husband predeceases.

Thamks

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Award travel miles and inheritance

Yes, they can generally be inherited.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Award travel miles and inheritance

but i think you would have to do something about it before u head off to the big hanger in the sky ie. makes them nominees thru the particular ff system. i dont think just putting your request in a will would do the trick

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Award travel miles and inheritance

I am a lawyer ( humor ) !! ?? !!,but I don't do wills, etc.

Would anyone know the procedure, or should I contact the airlines directly where I have miles and ask them for their procedures.

Would hate to see them wasted !!!

Thanks for your assistance.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Award travel miles and inheritance

i would contact the airline concerned. i am with singapore air's krisflyer. on their web site is a place for my nominees (up to 5) who i can say do or do not need my authorization to use my points. my partner is on the latter list so assume after i have "gone" she can still use my points.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Award travel miles and inheritance

Anyone have knowledge of Delta and american Air regarding this matter, Thanks

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Award travel miles and inheritance

Do NOT contact the airline until you read the program rules on their respective websites. Also search flyertalk - I know this has been covered. You NEVER own the frequent flier miles in your account - the airline does, therefore you can't bequeath them to someone else in the event of your death. Each airline will set their own policy in how they handle it.

A google search of Delta Skymiles Death returns some useful information also.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Award travel miles and inheritance

I'm not a lawyer but I play one on TV! (Boy does that date me!)

My experience is with my father-in-law, who had FF miles all over the place. My wife was the executor of his will, and her sister was left it all. My understanding is that they are an asset in the same way that anything of value is an asset, and can be left in a will in the same way that cash or a grandfather clock can.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Award travel miles and inheritance

Thanks to all of you, I guess I have some researching to do, and you are all welcome to assist.

To the poster who spoke about the " great hangar in the sky ", I really enjoyed the description, but hopefully I will still be around and with an extra incentive to enjoy the miles.

Thanks again !!!

9. Re: Award travel miles and inheritance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:27 am, October 13, 2009