We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

Really dumb question but I have never flown before.

I am only taking a carry on & a personal item (bag) and do not want to check either. I will have a 5+ hour layover between connecting flights and will want to use the bathroom, eat, walk around, etc. Since I am going alone, How can I secure my luggage so someone does not walk off with it? Can I use a TSA cable lock to secure my baggage to something inside the terminal or will the unattended luggage cause security to sieze it?

I am flying out of JFK, it that helps.

TIA

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

The short answer is no, please do not leave baggage unattended. You may hear announcements saying just that, as lone baggage, bags or parcels left at airports are treated with great suspicion; terminal buildings have been evacuated because of unattended bags or parcels.

If you have to change terminal buildings for your connecing flights, you'll definitely have to take your bags with you. If your flights arrive and depart from the same terminal building then you'll be airside at all times and will be responsible for your bags there as well.

Truly, don't leave bags unattended, as doing so causes more aggro than you might imagine. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

Welcome spmc:-) You do NOT want to leave unattended luggage anywhere at JFK!! Unfortunately, you'll have to carry it around with you to..wherever! Have fun wherever you're headed...and Enjoy!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,238 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

Surely by definition "Carry on" indicates a small case that will fit within the guidelines for overhead lockers. If so it will not be too much to carry around even into snack bars and 'bathroom'. If it is really to big to be manageable then check it in.

Either way as the others have said, do NOT leave it unattended unless you want to have a very long and interesting talk with Security when the bomb scare is over.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,008 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

DO NOT leave your bags unattended or "cabled" to anything. It could very easily ruin your trip. Your 5+ hour layover may allow you to make a new friend, maybe ask them to care for your bags if you dont want to take them to the restroom. Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

Leaving a bag unattended at the airport may well find your holiday being enjoyed at the CrowBar Motel, rather than your venue of choice :-(

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,080 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

Never leave your bag anywhere without you. Not only does your bag become a security concern for others, but you also risk losing your stuff in the process. This is not the same as chaining your bike to a guardrail or light post.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

In some countries you can put luggage into storage or lockers - but they will be screened before you do so.

In America, leaving any bag unattended will result in that terminal being evacuated and you becoming a particular favourite of the rubber glove squad on your future trips

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

Everyone already said what needs to be said but I wanted to add that on a flight to Orlando from Chicago a couple of years ago I gave my carry on to my (now) husband while I went to the bathroom and I was told to keep it on me at all times by airport staff.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

"Your 5+ hour layover may allow you to make a new friend, maybe ask them to care for your bags if you dont want to take them to the restroom. Good luck."

With all due respect to the above poster, do not "make a new friend" and leave your stuff with them, it's a great way to have someone put something you weren't expecting into your bag.

Keep your eyes on everything at all times. :)

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Securing Carry On Luggage Inside Airport

And if someone ask You to watch THEIR luggage, "just say no". Security issues (such as unattended luggage) could cause evacuation of a terminal and lead to all sorts of delays.