We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

Northants UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

First time we have ever flown more than 3 hrs. Lots of questions:

1 WHAT DOES A 50+++ LADY WEAR? Travelling in Nov. Want to look smart but also comfortable - thought of skirt with flight socks does not conjure up a good image!! Trousers can be restrictive. Are track suits suitable? Do I wear layers? Help please!!!

2 CAN I TAKE A HANDBAG AS WELL AS HAND LUGGAGE? Quantas web site is rather confusing as to what can be taken (or is it just me!!) We will also be doing some flights to Cairns and Sydney

3 LEFT LUGGAGE We are taking a three day stopover at Singapore. Can we leave our main luggage at the airport, and just take our hand luggage to the hotel? Again I cannot easily see this information!

4 What should we look forward to/be aware of, when flying for this length of time. How does the flight plan work - ie food/drink/entertainment/sleep?

5 Can anyone recommend a good cheap overnight heathrow hotel suitable for Terminal 4?

Generally any useful tips and/or advice would be much be appreciated to help with my nerves!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

I feel your excitement! We did this flight last year, Man - Perth via Dubai. 7hr first leg and second 10hrs, so not so bad with the break!

Wear what is comfy for you!! Don't worry about image!

Loose clothing is best with comfy shoes/slippers.

Take Asprin 24hrs before, during and after, helps against DVT + exercise and plenty of fluid on flight!

Sit back and enjoy! Watch TV, listen to music, read etc. Just pretend it's a lazy Sunday day!

Set watch to Perth time before you baord plane and try and get into there time zone, will make jet lag easier at other end!

Unless they have luggage storage at Singapore, you will have to take it with you, but let the bell boy do all the carrying!

As for hotel at Heathrow, search using tripadvisor!?

Finally....Have a great trip..Oz is fab!!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

Hi Silversurferjan

I would second the wear whatever you feel comfy in reply.

Ref point 3, there is a left luggage office at Changi (we left ours there in August)

Its at Terminal 3 at Changi.

We had 3 large suitcases which cost a total of $12 SGD overnight so $4 SGD per case.

In Terminal 3 the left luggage office is at Basement Level 2. It is signposted but all you do is walk past the food court & when you see Popeye Chicken on the right, the left luggage office is almost opposite on the left.

They are very friendly & efficient.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your wonderful trip.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

qantas arrives/departs from terminal 1.

the left baggage facility is in the basement of terminal 1. no need to go to terminal 3.

get onto the changi airport web site. there are good interactive maps and lots of info.

btw, learn to spell qantas. on boarding the crew give spot spelling checks and if u get it wrong u can be strapped to the wing for the duration of the flight.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

hi silversurferjan,yes a handbag is fine,id suggest trousers in a mostly cotton fabric,that are quite loose, they are comfy yet smart.

try www.airlinequality.com for flight reviews,they may have some of the info you are after.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

hi Silver

Others are right - dont worry about how you look. By the end of it you wont care anyway!!

I have always worn comfy stretch pants but caught out having to wear them for three days around Dublin when Quantas left our luggage behind in Melbourne so have been thinking about how to do better and have now found my best outfit ever.

Long cotton knit skirt, silk/cotton long sleeve T shirt, flight socks and flat ballet shoes. Very comfy and smart.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

agree Nozzie, then you can tizzy it up with a belt/scarf,maybe some high heels??

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

Hi Silversurferjan

1 Whatever makes you comfortable.I have seen lots of women wearing track suits.I generally wear elastic waist trousers and will probably be wearing linen ones for my trip in January.

Make sure you have comfortable shoes.I take my Clarks Spriner sandals in my hand luggage and change into them on the plane.

2 You could put your handbag into your larger carry on bag,or take your hanbag as well and leave space in your carry on bag in case somebody stops you.I know what you mean about being confused,all I can work out is that I have a 20kg luggage allownance.

3 I don't know about left luggage at Singapore,we take our luggage to the hotel with us.

4 I have never flown Qantas before but I think the in flight entertainment should be quite good.You should have a range of films to view,or listen to the radio.I always have a good book (start reading it before you leave to make sure it's not boring)and I like to do Sudoku,and crosswords.

Food will be normal airline food.

I find it difficult to sleep when travelling,but don't take any sort of pills,although some people advise taking a mild sleeping tablet.

5 I don't know of any hotels,but if you google hotels at Heathrow it should bring up anything in the area.

6 I put half of my clothes in my husbands suitcase and he puts half in mine so that if one of the suitcases goes astray we have clothes to wear.

7 Photocopy everything.Passports,credit and debit cards,insurance documents,driving licence.Keep a copy with you,or email them to yourself,so that if there is any loss or theft you have everything to hand.

Put a note of your itinerary inside your case so that if your case goes astray it can be delivered to you as soon as possible.You can also buy a luggage tag type thing that you can put your itinerary into.

8 I'm not any help with nerves i'm afraid,I'm a bit like that myself when I'm flying.

9 One last thing.You can usually find a hotel and car parking inclusive deal,should be there if you google Hotels at Heathrow.

Hope I haven't been more of a hindrance than a help.Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

MARGARET

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

Good advice there mags - BUT it doesnt help having half n half luggage when they leave BOTH your cases behind!!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,884 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

All good advice. No one will be looking at what you are wearing - go for comfort. If your luggage goes missing the colonies do have shops :-) Perth in November can (will?) be hot so I would not recommend wearing a tracksuit as when you step out of the Arrivals Hall the heat could hit you like a brick...

A handbag and carry on is fine but be aware that your carry on must fit into the devices by the Boarding Gate. When it comes to Domestic flights in particular in Aus, they are pretty hot on making sure you only carry on what you are allowed.

Oh and don't forget about your liquids/bag rules for International Flights. Not applicable for Domestic flights here.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP First long haul flight. Quantas Heathrow to Perth

thats why i suggested cotton pants for comfort of travel and soaking up sweat at hot destinations