We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zoom in administration

Nottingham
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Zoom in administration

Last weekend one of my sons and his young family booked for flights to Canada next year. Last night Zoom went into administration. He is away at present and does not have internet access. Does anyone know what to do next?

Unfortunately he only has a reference number and no paperwork or confirmation emails were received before he went away. He booked insurance but that was through Zoom and he therefore has no insurance company details. To add to his woe he did not pay with a credit card but with switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lew

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zoom in administration

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k2216004…

He should be able to claim on the insurance. The insurance company would be independent of Zoom. But he will need his policy details.

Nottingham
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Zoom in administration

Thanks for your reply but the problem is that his insurance was taken through Zoom and he has not received information as to who the insurer is.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zoom in administration

It looks like I was wrong. Your son didn't actually purchase travel insurance. He purchased Zoom's own coverage for cancellation, no show etc:

UK Residents

If you have purchased Zoom Cancellation Protection, you may cancel for a reason covered under The Cancellation Protection Policy. To make a claim, you must inform Zoom Airlines in writing as soon as possible. Your booking will be refunded less the cost of the insurance, any administration or credit card fees once the applicable proof has been received (such as doctor's certificate, record of employment etc).

Not much use if they are no longer in business.

Unless he can convince the bank to give him his money back, or he has other travel insurance, he won't get much if anything back.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zoom in administration

Someone on the radio this morning in the queue at ?Gatwick? was being interviewed and they said 'unfortunately I booked with a debit card so I have lost my money'. Same as the people I read about when that wedding gift company went bust "most of our guests paid with a debit card to avoid the £2 credit card fee".

Sounds like your son is in the same boat, that will be the one up a creek without paddles. I read something recently which stated that VISA debit cards ARE protected (but Maestro aren't)....oh, a quick google shows that Switch is now Maestro. You might wish to double check just to be sure. An expensive lesson.

What to do next is, decide where he can afford to go on holiday now. Chances of getting even a tiny amount of money back will be minute to zero if other companies going bust are anything to go by, and it always drags on for years anyway.

5. Re: Zoom in administration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, October 06, 2009