We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More bumpy flights coming

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
More bumpy flights coming

From the NY Times nytimes.com/2008/08/23/business/23bump.html

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: More bumpy flights coming

Overbooking makes perfect sense from the airline's financial view. Sure they give out the occasional $400 voucher (their acutal cost is not nearly as much) - usually because they oversold the flight at the last minute to someone who really needed to be somewhere NOW who was willing to pay five times that amount.

At the 1.16 IDBs per 10K passengers someone who flew twice a week would get denied boarding once every 80 years or so (on average). Of course that is not dramatic enough to put in the paper.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,968 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More bumpy flights coming

Hi

I am all for more bumping

a few yrs ago it was much more prevaliant

I used to fly for free all yr because of it.

I would book early in summer for Xmass flight home to visit family on the busiest day then go to airport

and negoiate for vouchers. I am never on a strick schedule.

one Xmass i ended up with over $1000 in flights and free room and meals while waiting for next flight.

but I haven't been bumped or even had an opportunity in a few yrs.

I came close in spring of 07 but they wouldn't give me decent compensation.

granted these are only domestic flights. international flights would be different and more of a problem.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More bumpy flights coming

Volunteered off an AA flight from ORD to LHR a few years ago. Got $600 vouchers each plus hotel and meals. Were re-booked 1st class to BOS then economy to DUB but when we checked in next day the Boston flight was cancelled so we ended up flying 1st class to Manchester - $6k worth of flight each!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More bumpy flights coming

I'm booked to go from Chicago to Salt Lake next week have checked on the United website and they are still taking bookings even though there is no seats left available.

We got bumped off a flight from LAX to Honolulu few years back we eventually got on the flight we were booked on by demanding they sent us back to London so they paid people to get off the flight.

Anyway with being on a tight schedule is there a way to make sure we don't get bumped.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,404 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More bumpy flights coming

<We got bumped off a flight from LAX to Honolulu few years back we eventually got on the flight we were booked on by demanding they sent us back to London so they paid people to get off the flight.>

Well done! Hit them where it hurts. One of the benefits of "through" bookings is your right to abandon, and be returned to base, with FULL refund for all sectors, if you look like being bumped on any sector down the line. The further out you are the better.

Technically the flight must be on an EU carrier or be starting from an EU airport but debateable where a through ticket actually starts in EU and you are bumped outside EU territory.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,882 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More bumpy flights coming

> is there a way to make sure we don't get bumped.

No.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: More bumpy flights coming

"I'm booked to go from Chicago to Salt Lake next week have checked on the United website and they are still taking bookings even though there is no seats left available."

If you are looking at the seat map it is very unreliable for determining the load of a flight. Many seats will be blocked for frequent fliers, disability seating, equipment swap possibilities and general airport checkin - this can easily be 50%+ of the cabin. seatcounter.com is more reliable but still not 100%. It may show five seats for sale, but only the airline knows if that means they are overselling by 0, 5, 10 or more seats.

Best way to avoid involuntary bumps is to check in early and be at the gate in plenty of time. Usually it is the last to check in, or those who decide to board five minutes before they close the door that lose.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,882 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More bumpy flights coming

> Usually it is the last to check in, or those who decide to board five minutes before they close the door that lose.

I'm afraid that's a myth. You can get bumped for any number of reasons, and you can do very little to control it. As long as the airline offers you the required involuntary denied boarding compensation, there is nothing you can do.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More bumpy flights coming

Hello

Were actually flying Manchester - Chicago the sameday but unsure if we'll be checked in at Manchester with having to go through immigration and customs at Chicago plus we have a four hour connection.

We fly BMI to Chicago then United to SLC am hoping we'll be checked in at Manchester as we are travelling by road to Idaho Falls once we reach Salt Lake so don't want to be bumped as we'll have been travelling for 24 hours by the time we reach Idaho

10. Re: More bumpy flights coming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:30 am, October 09, 2009