We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

Millersville, Md
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

What a nighmare in Newark Airport!! The first airport that I know of that tells you that due to weather conditions, your flight has been either cancelled or delayed (delayed 5 times in a row). What they don't count on is the television monitor above their heads at the customer service department that shows no weather problems from the originating airport to Newark.

I feel this problem is to get around the "Rule 240" that states that if your flight is cancelled or delayed, you must be put onto the first airline (any airline) headed in your direction unless the weather plays a part in the delay. Get the drift!!!

This happened on my way from Baltimore/Washington airport to Newark to catch a flight to Scotland and also happened when I landed in Newark from Scotland.

I needed to get to Baltimore/Washington airport from

Newark.

I knew that they would need to give me a train ticket so I could get home. Thank goodness there is a train that runs from Newark to Baltimore/Washington airport with free shuttles to and from the airport buildings. But, my fellow companions did not have such luck. They were constantly delayed and one couple ended up having to leave from Laguardia after spending the night in a hotel. One was from Kentucky and the other was from

Kansas.

I arrived home at midnight instead of at 5:00 p.m. I will never, ever fly from Newark Airport again and I also called my travel agent to let her know about the lousy service at that airport.

One man who lives in Newark said that this happens all of the time at that airport and he is stuck with their lousy service.

I was not too crazy about Continental Airlines too. They just added fuel to the fire when they told us about the cancellations and delays. I did not take my anger out on the airline personnel that day because I had the feeling they knew what was going on, but could not do anything to help us other than what they were told to do. No more Continental Airlines in my future.

Just beware!!

Red Heavy Tag

in Maryland

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

I'm sorry you had a horrible experience, but as a frequent flier out of NYC airports, I will do anything to go via Newark. Its definitely the most user friendly of the 3 and cant compare with the guaranteed delays in and out of LaGuardia unless you're flying on a beautiful Saturday morning after a perfectly beautiful Friday.

If you were coming back from say Paris, or Bangkok and went over your shopping allowance, Newark is your friend!

There's more to it than the weather where you are sitting. I get delayed all the time because the plane is stuck somewhere else. If the plane you were getting on in Newark originated in say, Miami, where there was a tropical storm, there would be no way for the plane to get out of Miami to get up to Newark to pick you up. That happened to me in Toronto a couple of weeks ago on AA.... And, we were delayed leaving NYC because there was a death in the pilot's family and we had to wait an hour for a replacement.

If we want to blame the airlines for anything its running lean mean operations to maximize profitability by not having extra planes and crews standing by for situations like these.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

The other problem with Newark is it is in the most congested airspace in the country with Laguardia and JFK so close. If high winds or other weather cause air traffic control to have to increase spacing for inbound flights there is no way to make up for the backlog and flights must be cancelled.

And as already mentioned, weather problems could be 1000 miles away. Your aircraft does not just fly EWR-BWI and back all day - weather anywhere in the network can cause delays at other airports. It is a fact of life in air travel.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

I also prefer Newark to the other NYC airports .

Sadly NY is a very busy area and there are often problems there.

I am cringing because in December I have to fly into and out of JFK which is the absolute worst!!

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

FWIW, Rule 240 died long, long ago (when the airlines were deregulated).

I think you are seeing conspiracies where none exist.

Paul

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

Flew in/out of Newark in June/July both domestic and international. Good service from ground staff, no delays of any consequence. Continental Hosties were helpful and polite. Having flown in/out JFK previously, would pick Newark anytime. And would have no problems flying Continental again either.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

I really wonder if this saga took place on one of the days of tropical storm Faye.

Millersville, Md
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

This saga took place on Aug. 2nd and Aug. 10th.

According to the weather reports, there should not

have been any problems from the originating airport.

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

On August 10th there were delays in and out of most NE airports ( storms ). I know because I flew to Boston Sunday eve and was over an hour delayed. Co-workers coming in from all points, connecting in ORD,IAD,EWR,etc. were all delayed anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours and some had cancelled flights.

9. Re: Newark, New Jersey Airport and Continental Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:30 am, October 09, 2009