We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around the liquid restrictions

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,343 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around the liquid restrictions

In my efforts to carryon at all costs, I have been searching for products to replace liquids and have come up with some I thought I'd share. If anyone else has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated!

I've discovered I can go away for a week long business trip, or city based vacation in a quart ziplock, but when you add suntan lotion, bug spray and developing nation to the equation (where its unlikely to find paba-free, fragrance-free suntan lotion) it gets tricky. Here are some things I've recently found:

Cutters and other bug sprays in towelette form

Dermalogica suntan lotion (15 spf) in towelette form

(has anyone tried this? I dont want to dry out the package by opening it all the way - have done an allergy test....)

Shampoo, handsoap and laundry detergent in those paperlike sheets. Have tried the laundry detergent and a few sheets are good for washing a few pair of underwear, but not as sudsy as Woolite. Has anyone tried the shampoo?

Any other ideas?

oh, and there is no need to tell me to check my legal size carryon (they enforce the rules here in NYC anyway). that's not an option.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around the liquid restrictions

I also use the towelettes for bug spray.They work fine for me BUT am not going to a "developing nation".

I haven't seen towelette suntan lotion though.

Where did you find it?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around the liquid restrictions

Bury it in your bag and chances are very good it won't be noticed. The TSA no longer seems to care about your quart bag being out anyway - I've left mine packed for the last 6-8 months and never been stopped. I've also traveled with two (not realizing it) and they never stopped me, and the liquids never magically transformed into dangerous substances either. This may not be a good idea if they are expensive and you can't stand to lose them if you actually find an alert screener that cares.

You could also try declaring it as medically necessary.

There was mention over at Flyertalk of new "secret" rules that let TSOs have some discretion on allowing oversize liquids. Of course they are not clear, but it seems to be allowed if you wish to challenge a screener on if it should be allowed.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,343 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around the liquid restrictions

riffsmom- Strawberrynet.com No one in NYC seems to sell Biotherm anymore and I've found its cheaper to order from them (with shipping from Hong Kong) than it is to buy the eyecream in France (even with the discount at Galleries Lafayette and the tax rebate). The monthly email they sent me had this Dermalogica stuff. Checked a few online drugstore sites and it gets good reviews.

Tev- Thanks. I did notice the last few flights I wasnt asked to remove my zip lock... Hoping they loosen up, or get rid of this stupidity like the matches. It would seem to me the smart terrorists would just combine their 3 ounces of explosive materials in an empty bottle in the bathroom if there really were liquid explosives.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,585 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around the liquid restrictions

> It would seem to me the smart terrorists would just combine their 3 ounces of explosive materials in an empty bottle in the bathroom if there really were liquid explosives.

No that's what the dumb terrorists would try to do, because it would never have worked anyhow.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around the liquid restrictions

We have transferred sunscreen and shampoo into other 3oz bottles.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around the liquid restrictions

As well as cleansing "wipes" and bug wipes, you can also get deodorant wipes by Nivea, I've used them and they are great, also those tiny sample sizes of perfume/aftershave are great for carry-ons.

Jess

Durham,NC
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around the liquid restrictions

LUSH natural cosmetic stores carry solid shampoos (lush.com). I'm going to buy one for my trip to Italy later this year, in an effort to free up space in my ziploc.

LOUISIANA
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around the liquid restrictions

We wait til we get to our destiation. Lots of hotels are now carrying supplies since the restrictions began. If you are staying at a hotel give them a call ahead of time and see what they stock. Also it is sometimes to schedule a drug store stop and buy what you need.

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around the liquid restrictions

I also highly recommend buying Lush solid shampoos. You can buy a round metal tin to keep them in and they travel very well.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,343 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around the liquid restrictions

I know you can transfer them into 3 oz bottles, but you can only fit so many 3 oz bottles in the zip lock! In fact, I mostly use 2 oz and you can only fit so many of them....

good idea about the Lush shampoo - will try it. Have tried their moisturizer that comes in a soap bar looking form, but it leaves me really greasy! Stick deoderant seems to get through OK. I've also switched to Almay makeup remover pads instead of carrying around the 1 oz bottle of liquid.

to the person from Louisiana - that's true if you're going to Chicago, St Barth or Paris, but I'm talking about travel to places like Guatemala, Belize, etc where if you're allergic to paba and fragrance, you have to BYO from home.