We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BMI Premium Economy Power Outlet Type?

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
BMI Premium Economy Power Outlet Type?

Can anyone tell me what type of plug I need to use the power outlet in BMI's long haul premium economy please? Is is a std uk 3-pin (as in their business class) or a cigar lighter type? We are flying Manchester to Las Vegas.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,089 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BMI Premium Economy Power Outlet Type?

Hi nottmgal,

the power ports in bmi's A330 premium economy are standard UK 3 pin AC sockets.

BMI has three A330-200 planes, two based at MAN and one (might be) based at LHR. The two definately at MAN have 18 business, 30 premium economy and 172 economy seats. The third A330 has 42 business and 156 economy seats.

If for whatever reason (one plane goes tech) you are on the third A330 then as you can see there is no premium economy and you will be placed in business class.

The following link is to seatguru, an excellent site which lists seat plans for most major airlines.

seatguru.com/airlines/BMI/BMI_Airbus_A330-20…

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BMI Premium Economy Power Outlet Type?

Thanks sunmagic.

I had looked at seatguru but although it said that the outlets were ac power it did not list the UK plug type as one that would be suitable. But, I guess that as a British airline they must have British sockets! I know BC has them on the new seats.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BMI Premium Economy Power Outlet Type?

The usual A330 lanes on this route use the "empower" sockets in Premium Economy. A couple of times the crew found an adaptor for me. Then on one trip they couldn't find one so I bought my own for a fiver on ebay.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,089 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BMI Premium Economy Power Outlet Type?

Cheshirecat,

bmi only have three A330-200's; which have the standard UK 3 pin AC sockets. Please see the attached picture of a premium economy seat onboard, you can quite clearly see just in front of the controller the UK socket, which is 'upside down'.

…picoodle.com/img/…f_1342152m_78a7c88.jpg

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BMI Premium Economy Power Outlet Type?

Thanks for the picture sunmagic, I think that clears it up!!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: BMI Premium Economy Power Outlet Type?

That 3-pin looking socket just by the video control panel is the headphone outlet! I've been on the plane across the Atlantic about 8 times since they put these seats in Premium Economy. The power outlet is the empower style.

7. Re: BMI Premium Economy Power Outlet Type?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, October 07, 2009