We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

England
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

Am I the only person who is seriously frustrated by getting charged extortionate amounts of money for excessive baggage, when people who are hidiously overweight, now I dont just mean people who are carrying a few extra pounds, but people who are twice over their ideal bodyweight dont get charged any extra??

Now I know this is a controversial subject, and I don't mean to cause offense, it's just whilst travelling from Phuket to Bangkok earlier this year I was charged around £15.00 for a miniscule amount of weight, and yes I know it's my responsibility to ensure my bag is under weight, and I know the aircraft uses more fuel the heavier it is.

I just think it is very very un-fair.

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

Very fat people should be made to buy two seats. How many times have been sitting on a plane when a really fat person comes walking towards the vacant seat next to you, and you breath a sigh of relief as they pass...Phew........

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

This has been covered over and over and over again to the point where it is not worth even attempting to explain again. Try searching and I am sure you will find the old threads, as young as a month ago.

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

Why ?? are you a fat person...???

England
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

thanks for you useless comment tev9999. I'd like to bring to your attention if I may, new members to this website who don't traul through the hundreds of thousands of forums and replies, just to make sure they are not covering a previous topic. I have never notices this topic on here, I'm a new member, so I want to find out peoples feelings.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,272 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

I'm not going to get into the overweight debate, which is definitely a pet peeve for me (why is it always the 300 lb woman overflowing into your seat who makes the comments about your legal carryon luggage? And why do these women only feel free to hassle other women?)

But, I bet that agent in Phuket scammed you and pocketed the money! I made several flights within SE Asia in Feb and checked the fees in advance out of fear bag would be overweight after shopping - and most carriers in Thailand were about 5 baht for each kilo over

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

> new members to this website who don't traul through the hundreds of thousands of forums and replies, just to make sure they are not covering a previous topic.

You don't need to trawl - that's what the search box at the top is for. Here is the main one.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k1667053…

If you have anything new to add, please do.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,272 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

clearly, Rob just needs to vent! its a rhetorical question Worldtraveler!

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

lighten up guy's its only informative fun, life too short to take anything too seriously....

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

This is true. We do not have to contribute to the same old daft questions so I won't.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: should heavy people pay ''excess baggage?''

> its a rhetorical question

Clearly not, given his response to tev!