We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Future of Continenal Award Travel using Alaska Mileage Plan

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Future of Continenal Award Travel using Alaska Mileage Plan

Currently, Alaska shows I can use Alaska Miles for award travel on Continental.

With Continental leaving Sky Team, will this change? I went to Sky Team's site and I didn't even see Alaska as a member.

The reason I ask - and maybe you can give me some tips - is I am flying PDX>MCO in January. Right now, I have enough miles for both of us to fly FC. However, Alaska's schedule (at least what I could find) doesn't show any direct flights on that route in January - they all show flying Horizon to Seattle and then on to MCO. I really want to avoid Horizon or other commuter type.

In looking at my other options - it looks like my only other hope is Continental. I have avoided looking into making reservations just yet until it seems like all the schedule changes have finished...but maybe I should act now?

Advice for a award-travel-newbie???

Thanks

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,882 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Future of Continenal Award Travel using Alaska Mileage Plan

Don't worry about any of this. CO will not be switching alliances in the near future.

For one thing, the CO/Alaska agreement is a reciprocal arrangement that has nothing to do with alliance membership.

Also, under the complicated rules that govern these things, CO will not be able to join Star until 9 months after the Delta/NW merger is completed (don't ask why!). So even if that was achieved tomorrow (and it is more likely to take months) CO would not be joining Star until May 2009 at the earliest. Look for it to be more like 2010 or later.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Future of Continenal Award Travel using Alaska Mileage Plan

Thanks Worldvoyager, that exactly what I needed to know.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Future of Continenal Award Travel using Alaska Mileage Plan

With award travel, sooner is always better. If you have your travel details nailed down, I would book ASAP.

4. Re: Future of Continenal Award Travel using Alaska Mileage Plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 26, 2009