We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitcase weigh in!

Slidell LA
Level Contributor
93 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Suitcase weigh in!

I am packing for my family of five. How strict are they about the 50 lb. limit? Do they actually weigh every suitcase? I wonder how acurate their scales are? We are putting our luggage on our scale at home, and they are weighing about 42 - 48 lbs. I'm a little nervous, there is no way that I want to pay extra fees for over 50lbs!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitcase weigh in!

Depends on the airline.

Slidell LA
Level Contributor
93 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitcase weigh in!

We are flying U S Air. Do you or anyone else know about their procedures? How strict are they?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitcase weigh in!

US Airways does weigh checked baggage. I have checked bags with them weighing 51 or 52 pounds, and have only once been asked to either repack or jettison something out of a bag, and that was when the agent told me an audit was in progress, so all rules were meant to be followed scrupulously.

These days? It may depend on whether the ground agent is in fine spirits or feeling like an officious jobsworth.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitcase weigh in!

HI

are you flying international

the 50 lbs is usually only for international flights domestic is less.

but if you are flying a domestic connection to get to international departure airport than you get the 50 lbs on the domestic flight.

they always weigh every checked in bag. now a days they are very strict about weight,

but you are smart weighing and adjusting the weight in your bags before you leave.

Slidell LA
Level Contributor
93 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitcase weigh in!

We are traveling here within the U S. I thought the 50lb rule was for both - domestic and international. We are adjusting our luggage here at home as best we can. If I have to , I'll transfer some things into my carry on, maybe bring on two carry ons. It will be five of us, and we are each allowed a carry on. Right? The airline scene is such a nightmare! The terrorists, the fuel prices, what is next? This is a CRAZY world we live in!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitcase weigh in!

Yes, it applies to domestic. usairways.com/awa/…baggagepolicies.aspx

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suitcase weigh in!

And of course scales vary depending upon which airport you go to. On AA I had a case I checked at JFK I checked which was under the 50lb limit, I didn't do anything to the case and when I checked it at O'Hare a couple of days later it was 2lb over the limit! Despite protest the agent made me repack or pay $50, as a top tier frequent flyer and on a paid First Class ticket I wasn't too impressed.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suitcase weigh in!

Two points. It should be very clear on the confirmation what the weight limit is for each sector of the trip. If it's not, ask BA for this in writing. Then present this at the check-in in BKK to avoid any confusion.

As for scales, you are perfectly within your rights to ask to see the calibration certificate. If they can't produce one, they cannot use the scales for commercial purposes, and they have to accept your bag no matter how much it weighs!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
370 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suitcase weigh in!

You are lucky to have a weight limit of 50 lb in Australia ours is way less than that on my last trip back from Las Vegas I was over weight and they gave me a box to put some of my clothes and souvenirs into to reduce the weight they did not charge me for it.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,795 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suitcase weigh in!

WV. You missed your medication again.

"Two points. It should be very clear on the confirmation what the weight limit is for each sector of the trip. If it's not, ask BA for this in writing. Then present this at the check-in in BKK to avoid any confusion."

This forum is for an internal USair flight. It was nuttytarts daughter that is going to BKK form NEW.