We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger airlines- Read the fine print.

geelong, australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tiger airlines- Read the fine print.

Recently my 17yo daughter experienced what can only be described as rules gone mad.She had booked a flight with tiger airlines from Melbourne to the Sunshine coast for herself and her infant child. When she arrived to take her flight she was told after they had accepted her money and booking that because she wasn't over eighteen ( yes, I know she is young to be having a baby) she wasnt allowed to take her baby on the flight because people under the age of fourteen can only travel with an adult (ie over the age of eighteen) So her dilemma is that even though she is old enough to have a baby she is not old enough to travel with it because she is not old enough to look after it on the flight??? What a joke. Their solution was for me her father to fly with her or forfeit the ticket. it was decided to save disappointment for my daughter and granddaughter to fly to see their relatives that I would then purchase a return flight for same day travel up and back on the returning flight some eight hour turnaround at a cost $AUD700 with no offer of a better fare, because of the stupid rule that won't allow an under 14 to travel unless accompanied by an adult over 18.

geelong, australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger airlines- Read the fine print.

And another thing, on the same flight there was another lady who was sending her three children 17, and twins 13 and a half to see their father who lives up north for the school holidays. even though they had to book the ticket using thir birth dates in the booking and being acccepted by the airline she arrived for the same flight as my daughter and was told that because her daughter wasn't over 18 she could not fly with her younger twins because they were yet to reach 14. Here we are stranded at check in with teenage kids who have flown north four times a year for a decade with other airlines not being allowed on unless accompanied by an adult, I could see their dissapointment so I offered to act as thie guardian, after all I had just forked out top dollar to fly with my daughter for no reason. But NO because I am not their legal gaurdian I couldn't be allowed to help them out. Now i did check the fine print later and this ruke does exist, but no where does it say the people travelling together have to be realted. As for the poor kids they eventually got to the sunshine coast to see thier dad after their mother few with them like I had to. READ THE FINE PRINT.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger airlines- Read the fine print.

sad but true, read the tiny tiny fine print, I guess......

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger airlines- Read the fine print.

I have flown Tiger a couple of times with no problems, but my itineraries and situation were quite 'normal.'

But in saying that, I would be very, very wary booking a Tiger flight for anything that might be considered even **remotely** out of the ordinary, because this type of storey seems very common.

Their inflexible maze of rules really are taken to the extreme when a mother cannot fly with her own child, regardless of age!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger airlines- Read the fine print.

What an absolutely ridulous situation

Airlines all over the world accept underage children travelling alone (and no I certainly dont put your daughter in this category) as long as someone is at the other end to collect them

My 13 yo grandaughter flew from London to Sydney alone and we had to show ID at Sydney to collect her

Please post this on the Oz forum as I think many Aussie travellers need to see how inflexible this airline is and be very wary of travelling with them

A mother not being allowed to travel with her own baby is the craziest thing I have ever heard

DONT PATRONISE THEM

Abbey

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,785 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger airlines- Read the fine print.

While I can see the logic of the three unaccompanied minors not being allowed to travel and of Legendjohn not being permitted to stand in locum parentis for them I cannot see how the heck tiger can even suggest that a mother cannot fly with her child.

This is sheer unadulterated lunancy and if I was their Father/GFather I would raise hell with Civil Liberties, Childrens Organisations and anyone else. I would also write to the CEO/President of Tiger and DEMAND I be reimbursed the Airfare along with an apology to my Daughter. If nothing forthcoming get on TV and in the Papers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiger airlines- Read the fine print.

Interesting situation, which did surprise me. But, after having a look at their website, it is indeed in the fine print. But is in view when you are confirming the ticket, so it is not hidden away so much.

I checked out Qantas and you have to be at least 15 to travel with an infant, but this took a little more finding than with the Tiger website. Virgin Blue is the same, and took even more searching to find. I suppose that is what a budget carrier is all about - servicing 90% of the population, not the 10% to produce cost savings. When you are paying less than $200 return for flights, that take over 2hrs each way, you can't expect everything. Yes, the fine print is, apparently, important sometimes.

7. Re: Tiger airlines- Read the fine print.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, October 06, 2009