We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas Revamps FF Program

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Qantas Revamps FF Program

…smh.com.au/national/qantas-expands-frequent…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qantas Revamps FF Program

"Our research strongly indicates that many of our members want a guaranteed seat on the day they want to travel, and are happy to pay more for this,"

I think they may be misreading that research. If I'm willing to pay more to guarantee a seat, I'll save my miles and buy a ticket.

I know with Air Canada, if they had a pay + miles option, it wouldn't be worth using the miles.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qantas Revamps FF Program

To clarify, because of the taxes and extra fees needed to use the miles, adding an extra fee to use fewer miles makes it almost as much as just buying a ticket, and then you earn more miles.

Come to think of it, they do allow you to buy miles if you are short, so I guess it's the same. But I've never used this option because it ends up costing the same as buying a ticket.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qantas Revamps FF Program

All the flights we have looked at today are going to cost ~25% more points than before.

Despite the statement at the top of the screen that flights on this route start at X points (X being the old rate) there weren't any flights day or night at that rate. Day or night, weekend or weekday up to 6 months out.

Didn't look any further ahead right now but it didn't look promising. Maybe we picked bad routes but they are routes we usually fly.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,314 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qantas Revamps FF Program

Well I dont trust this to be a good thing. They are selling off their FF program - that is why it is changing . Qantas share price rocketed up today - so some people are happy - but not this little black duck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Qantas Revamps FF Program

I've been readin some other forums where people have been playing around with potential flights...so far the record I've seen is an 800% increase in the number of points required for an international flight...no wonder the shareprice went up - if they get a few people to take up seats at those levels, Qantas' FF liability will significantly decrease. :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
597 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qantas Revamps FF Program

Not to mention that their 'base' award levels were extremely high as it was. :-(

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qantas Revamps FF Program

On the face of it, I am very happy with the new scheme

I had a quick look last night and put in some dates for June 2009 using the old system ... 128,000.00 point return to London .. nearly every day was avaiable ... in fact I love the new calendar which comes up showing which days flights are available on

Obviously to get the cheaper point seats you need to plan a long way ahead .. but if this is not an option, then using some more points to get a seat means at least you have a choice .. either use points or pay

I still intend to use a lot of my points next year as I realise that changes are inevitable and I would like to use my points instead of losing them altogether

Abbey

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qantas Revamps FF Program

i guess whenever something is changed,there will be happy campers and not so happy ones!!!

I havnt had time to judge the changes yet, shall post when do so.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qantas Revamps FF Program

After consideration I think the changes are an improvement.However it is not going to improve availability of awards on the popular routes to the US or LHR by much.Obviously Qantas gets a good price especially for premium seats on these routes and really doesnt want to give them away as rewards hence the ridiculous number of points quoted in various articles that will be needed for awards.

However on less popular routes or those with frequent services there are anytime awards that are very reasonably priced.As long as you realise this then there is a good chance you can get flight awards to somewhere you would like to go for a reasonable mileage cost.Jetstar anytime awards are mostly well priced-just a pity I dont want to fly OS with them.

10. Re: Qantas Revamps FF Program

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, October 04, 2009