We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

hamilton
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

In April my husband, son and I flew from New Zealand to Dubai where we stayed for 2 nights before reporting (in plenty of time) for our flight to Athens. Our baggage was checked in and then we were directed to another counter. When asked if there was a problem we were told by two diferent people "No, no prolem!" Finally we were told they had overbooked 25 seats and we were to stay another night in Dubai. (We had booked our flight 6 months previously!) We were given vouchers for a night at a hotel and meals and a 'free flight voucher'. We spoke to a number of staff at the check-in counter and each one told us something different. In fact one even told us the voucher was for another free entire trip from NZ to Europe return! Finally we were told it was for a flight from Dubai to Athens. When we said this was useless to us as we would have to pay for a flight all the way from NZ to Dubai just to use it, we were told that it could be changed for a flight from NZ (for a similar distance) and there would be no charge to change it. Finally given this assurance and told we could fill out a claims form at the hotel for the room we had booked in Athens for that night and could not cancel(at 75 euro) we reluctantly signed the flight voucher. We had no desire to spend another night in Dubai in an Airport hotel miles from anywhere. At the hotel there were no 'Claims Forms' just 'customer feedback' ones and the man at the Emirates counter at the hotel said that we would have to pay 100 US dollars and taxes per person if we changed the 'free' vouchers to a flight originating from NZ.

Back to the Airport we went only to be told by each staff member we talked to that they had no authority to do anything before being referred to the next more senior person. We were then sent to the first class lounge to repeat our concerns to yet another 3 different customer service people and even asked not to stand at the (very long!)counter as 'customers' may need to come to the counter. The last person we spoke to there said to come back in the morning as only 'customer affairs' staff had authority to change anything and not 'customer service' staff. We saw a Customer Affairs person at 7 am and gave her the 'customer feedback' sheet detailing our concerns before boarding for Athens. She said we would receive a response. Once home and having received no response I emailed Emirates Customer Affairs. This was 6 weeks ago. This email received a standardised acknowledgement and a month ago another email said they would be in a position to write to us soon. A week ago I emailed to ask how much longer this would take but have received no reply. We presented the first written complaint on 16th April. Has anyone else experienced anything similar and were their issues eventually resolved?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,326 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

That sounds like extremely poor service sooty. I found when I had a serious complaint with Quantas that emails didnt get the required result and i needed to phone the customer service rep after which I got a flight voucher plus a shopping voucher - maybe a phone call to Emirates might work.

Coulsdon
Level Contributor
45 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

I am very surprised to hear that you are having a problem with Emirates Customer Sevices as we have found then most helpful. I actually rang them here in the UK with my initial complaint and the only time I used email was to get written confirmation of their compensation offer (they fulfilled this offer exactly as they had said they would). Is it possible to take your problem to an Emirates representative in Auckland? If that is not possible could you try ringing Emirates in Australia , who we found equally helpful ?(we actually visited their office)

hamilton
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

Thanks nozzie and bettysdad for your feedback. I did initially ring a free number I found for Emirates and it took me to someone in Australia who told me I would have to email customer affairs with my complaint. I think I will ring again however and tell them how long I have been waiting for a response. I think the number that is in the NZ Yellowpages is the one I rang intially that put me through to Australia, but I could be wrong so will try it and may even be able to speak to someone in NZ this time. (It is 0508 EMIRATES)

When we were offloaded there were also 3 lovely ladies from Adelaide who were also. We felt really sorry for them as they were on a trip of a lifetime and were to have picked up a cruise in Athens but would have been late due to having to fly a day later. We were lucky as we insisted on getting our checked-in bags back but the Australian ladies were told they couldn't have theirs 'due to security reasons' so had only the clothes they were wearing for their extra night in Dubai. Having to stay on in Dubai did spoil our holiday due to our tight schedule. We had a flight booked from Athens to Venice and arrangements made to travel by train from there to Switzerland (where one of our sons is living) and a flight booked from Geneva to Brussels so we could be in Ypres for ANZAC Day. The loss of a day in Athens meant we had no time to do a planned day cruise to one of the Greek Islands. But apart from the Emirates problem we still did have a great holiday!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

try ekaustralia@emirates.com

i found them very helpful

although must admit one wasnt helpful at all

hamilton
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

May be worth a try thanks Lilyanna.

I have however also emailed eknewzealand@emirates.com and customeraffairs.akl@emirates.com (hoping they could help as I was getting no satisfaction from customer.affairs@emirates.com) but have received no reply at all.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

I complained on March, 26 about services rendered in connection with a 26 hrs delay out of HAM.

Got email reply same day that my complaint had been forwarded to customers affairs, and since then not a word from Emirates.

Hans

hamilton
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

Interesting! I have looked at other sites which have similar tales of people complaining and getting back vague emails (or no response). It is as if Emirates hope the problem will go away as people will get sick of the time and effort it takes to keep persuing a complaint. I did read of one person who received a reply immediately after they emailed magazines Emirates had received awards from. (Previously they had emailed Emirates every day with no satisfaction) Their 'compensation' was to be an upgrade on their next flight! So they first would have to outlay another Economy fare in order to get their 'reward'!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,326 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

Sooty - that is fairly standard "compensation" I'm afraid. That way the airline still gets the benefit of another fare.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

i forgot to mention that my emailing to EK was for a business class fare trip though.

may have made a difference somewhat.

Coulsdon
Level Contributor
45 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frustration with how Emirates deal with complaints

Sorry , our problem was also with a Business class fare trip. Maybe lilyana is correct.